Sept. 26, 2016
Athletes of the Week
Lindsay Agnew, women’s soccer
- Agnew collected the first hat trick of her career on Sunday to become the 13th Buckeye in program history to do so. All three of her goals came within a five minute span at the start of the second half. Agnew ranks No. 2 in the Big Ten for goals scored (8) this year.
Mikael Torpegaard, men’s tennis
- Torpegaard collected the individual title at the Columbus Challenger on Sunday, which was hosted at the Ohio State Varsity Tennis Center. Torpegaard cruised through five victories in the weeklong event while only dropping two sets. He defeated world No. 97 Benjamin Becker in three sets (6-4, 1-6, 6-2) in the final match.
No. 17 Women’s Soccer (7-4-1, 1-2-1 Big Ten)
- Lindsay Agnew rattled off three goals in a span of five minutes to start the second half and propelled the Buckeyes to a 3-0 shutout win over the visiting Hawkeyes on Sunday.
- Agnew’s hat trick was the 13th in program history and the first since 2014. Agnew, who has eight goals this season, ranks second in the Big Ten in that category.
- Megan Geldernick and Devon Kerr both combined for two saves each on the way to the third shutout of the year for Ohio State.
- Ohio State finished third at the East & West Match Play Challenge for the second time in three years in Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Jessica Porvasnik and Jaclyn Lee were the catalysts for the Buckeyes during the three-day event (Sunday-Tuesday). Both Porvasnik and Lee finished first and second in stroke play, and then they both proceeded to go 2-0 in match play.
- Porvasnik was named the Big Ten Golfer of the Week on Wednesday (Sept. 21) for her stellar play. In stroke play, Porvasnik’s back-to-back rounds of 69 gave her the medalist honors by three strokes, and she followed that up with two commanding wins in match play. This was the fourth Big Ten Golfer of the Week award for Porvasnik in her career.
- Junior Mikael Torpegaard claimed the Columbus Challenger singles title on Sunday afternoon when he defeated world No. 97 Benjamin Becker in three sets (6-4, 1-6, 6-2).
- Torpegaard, who is ranked No. 1 in the Oracle ITA collegiate preseason rankings, won five matches throughout the week and only dropped two sets.
Men’s Soccer (3-6-0, 2-1-0 Big Ten)
- The Scarlet and Gray knocked off Valparaiso Wednesday evening with an imposing 4-1 win. Danny Jensen netted three goals on the way to his first-career hat trick, and the first by a Buckeye in four years.
- Jensen’s goals came in the 5th, 13th and 50th minutes of the game. Jensen also recorded an assist on Nate Kohl’s score in the 21st minute to give him a career high seven points for the match.
- The win was the first non-conference triumph for the Buckeyes in 2016. Ohio State has now won three-consecutive home matches.
Women’s Cross Country
- The Buckeyes ran to a 10th-place finish as a team on Saturday at the loaded Roy Griak Invitational. The Scarlet and Gray finished with a team total of 280 points and knocked off No. 17 Iowa State.
- Sophomore Emily Stoodley was Ohio State’s top finisher; she placed 20th in a field of 335 athletes with a 6K time of 22:21.0.
Ohio State Athletics Schedule
Monday, September 26
- Women’s Tennis, All Day – Charleston, S.C.
- Men’s Golf, All Day – Cincinnati, Ohio
Tuesday, September 27
- Men’s Golf, All Day – Cincinnati, Ohio
Wednesday, September 28
- Women’s Volleyball, vs. Northwestern, 6:30 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Men’s Soccer, vs SIUE, 7 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
Friday, September 30
- Women’s/Men’s Cross Country, 2 and 2:45 p.m. – Cedarville, Ohio
- Field Hockey vs. Kent State, 3:30 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Women’s/Men’s Swimming, Scarlet and Gray, 4 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Women’s Ice Hockey at RPI, 6 p.m. – Troy, N.Y.
Saturday, October 1
- Women’s/Men’s Swimming, Alumni Meet, 8 a.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Football vs. Rutgers, 12 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Women’s Ice Hockey at RPI, 3 p.m. – Troy, N.Y.
- Women’s Soccer vs. Northwestern, 7 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Women’s Volleyball at Nebraska, 8:30 p.m. – Lincoln, Neb.
- Men’s Tennis at ITA All-American Championships – Tulsa, Okla.
Sunday, October 2
- Softball at Kent State, 12 and 2:30 p.m. – Kent, Ohio
- Men’s Soccer vs. Michigan State, 2 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Men’s Ice Hockey vs. Wilfrid Laurier (exhibition), 4 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Men’s Golf, Nike Collegiate Invitational, All Day – Fort Worth, Texas
- Rifle at West Virginia, TBA – Morgantown, W.V.