Dec. 27, 2016
Athletes of the Week
Stephanie Mavunga, women’s basketball
Mavunga recorded her team-leading sixth double-double of the season on Wednesday night against Winthrop. She scored 12 points on 6-of-9 shooting and hauled in 14 rebounds (seven offensive, seven defensive).
Trevor Thompson, men’s basketball
Thompson notched two double-double in last week’s victories over Youngstown State and UNC Asheville. Thompson totaled 25 points and 25 rebounds in the two-game stretch. It was the first time in his career to record a double-double in consecutive games.
No. 12 Women’s Basketball (10-4)
- The Buckeyes won their final non-conference game on Wednesday night in wire-to-wire fashion over Winthrop 88-48.
- On the defensive end, Ohio State forced 24 turnovers; that marked the fourth time in five games that an Ohio State opponent turned the ball over more than 20 times.
- Kelsey Mitchell led all scorers with 19 points and Stephanie Mavunga registered a double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds.
Men’s Basketball (10-3)
- Ohio State collected two wins against Youngstown State (77-40) and UNC Asheville (79-77) last week.
- Keita Bates-Diop, Jae’Sean Tate and Kam Williams each scored 15 points as Ohio State topped Youngstown State Tuesday night. Trevor Thompson chipped in a double-double with 11 points and 15 boards.
- Tate and JaQuan Lyle poured in 17 points each and Williams made two free throws with four seconds left to ice the Buckeyes’ win over UNC Asheville on Thursday night. Thompson collected another double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds; it was the first time in his career that he recorded a double-double in consecutive contests.
Ohio State Athletics Schedule
Wednesday, December 28
- Women’s Basketball, vs. Minnesota, 7 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
Friday, December 30
- Men’s Volleyball, at McMaster, 7 p.m. – Hamilton, Ontario
Saturday, December 31
- Women’s Basketball, at Indiana, 3 p.m. – Bloomington, Ind.
- Men’s Ice Hockey, vs. Miami, 4 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Football, vs. Clemson, 7 p.m. – Glendale, Ariz.
Sunday, January 1
- Men’s Basketball, at Illinois, 7 p.m. – Champaign, Ill.