Sept. 5, 2016
Athlete of the Week
- J.T. Barrett, football
- The junior quarterback accounted for a school-record seven touchdowns (six passing, one rushing) and threw for 349 yards in Ohio State’s season-opening 77-10 win over Bowling Green. Barrett was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts.
No. 6 Football (1-0)
- 10 offensive touchdowns and a school-record 776 yards of total offense were the driving forces behind Ohio State’s 77-10 victory over Bowling Green.
- Curtis Samuel accounted for 261 yards on offense, hauling in 177 yards through the air and rushing for 84 more. In his first career start Mike Weber rushed for 136 yards on 19 carries.
- On the defensive side, Malik Hooker had a pair of interceptions and Rodjay Burns had a 75-yard pick six in his first game as a Buckeye.
No. 11 Women’s Volleyball (5-1)
- Playing host at Nationwide Arena this past weekend, Ohio State earned victories against LIU Brooklyn (25-11, 25-17, 25-19) and Wyoming (25-22, 25-17, 25-16).
- Ashley Wenz and Taylor Sandbothe led the way with 38 combined kills in those two games, while Luisa Schirmer led the way with 22 kills herself.
- With 66 digs between them, Valeria Leon, Kalisha Goree, Audra Appold, and Schirmer had more than both Wyoming and LIU Brooklyn combined.
- Earlier in the week, Sandbothe was named Big Ten Player of the Week.
Women’s Soccer (5-1)
- The Buckeyes knocked off No. 16 Virginia Tech on Thursday in Blacksburg by a score of 2-1, with goals by Lindsay Agnew and Morgan Wolcott.
Field Hockey (1-3)
- Ohio State picked up its first win of the young season on Sunday, defeating Ohio 3-0.
- The Scarlet and Gray defense only allowed one shot all game, and on offense Maddy Humphrey tallied two goals with freshman Esther Clotet Alsina accounting for the other.
- Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams captured their respective team titles at the Queen City Invite over the weekend, with the women scoring a perfect 15.
- Of the top 22 finishers in each race (11 men, 11 women) 18 were Buckeyes.
Ohio State Athletics Schedule
Monday, September 5
- Men’s Soccer at Oregon State, 3 p.m. – Corvallis, Ore.
Wednesday, September 7
- Field Hockey vs. UC Davis, 3 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
Friday, September 9
- Women’s Volleyball vs. IUPUI, 1 p.m. – Springfield, Mo.
- Women’s Soccer vs. Texas, 5 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Men’s Soccer vs. Northwestern, 7:30 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Women’s Volleyball at Missouri State, 8 p.m. – Springfield, Mo.
Saturday, September 10
- Football vs. Tulsa, 3:30 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Women’s Volleyball vs. Green Bay, 6 p.m. – Springfield, Mo.
Sunday, September 11
- Field Hockey vs. Miami (OH), 12 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio