COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State synchronized swimming team won two of three routines in semifinal action to complete the first day of competition Thursday at the 2010 U.S. Collegiate Synchronized Swimming Championships.
Taking place at the Avery Aquatic Center in Palo, Alto, Calif., swimming will continue with the technical elements competition from 11:05 a.m. – 5 p.m. ET Friday. The team semifinal is scheduled to commence at 7 p.m. ET. In the 33-year history of the U.S. Collegiate Synchronized Swimming championships, Ohio State has won the team routine title 27 times.
The Top 12 finishers in each event advance to the finals, which will begin at 11:30 a.m. ET Saturday with the trio, followed by the duet, solo and team finals.
A year ago, Ohio State boasted two trio teams that finished in a tie for first, which meant six gold medals. The Buckeyes appear to be en route to controlling their own destiny again as the 2010 trio teams finished first and second in the semifinals. Barbara Nesbitt, Deborah Shim and Michelle Theriault scored a 91.250 and Meghan Kinney, Paige Ramsey and Caitlin Stewart secured a 90.750.
The duo of Kinney and Theriault dominated the duet, outdistancing their nearest competitor by .875 points. The two Buckeyes who are members of the 2010 U.S. National Team Training squad, posted a 91.875. Canisius College’s pair of Yulia Shepeleva of Natalia Tarasova was second (91.000).
Finishing just .333 points out of first place last year, Nesbitt is seeking her first gold medal in the solo event at collegiate nationals in her senior season. Advancing to the final this year, the Buckeye from Riverside, Calif., scored a 91.875 to finish second in the semifinals behind Tarasova (92.125).
The 34th-annual U.S. Collegiate Synchronized Swimming Championships is an open-class meet, combining competition from NCAA Divisions I, II, and III and NAIA colleges and universities. More than 200 of the top athletes from the collegiate scene are competing for titles in the solo, duet, trio and team events.
2010 U.S. Collegiate Synchronized Swimming Championships
Avery Aquatic Center
Palo Alto, Calif.
Solo Semifinal Results (Top 5)
1. Natalia Tarasova (Canisius College) – 92.125
2. Barbara Nesbitt (Ohio State) – 91.875
3. Yulia Shepeleva (Canisius College) – 88.750
4. Jessica Guenther (Stanford) – 85.750
5. Devah Leenheer (Lindenwood) – 85.000
Duet Semifinal Results (Top 5)
1. Meghan Kinney and Michelle Theriault (Ohio State) – 91.875
2. Yulia Shepeleva, Natalia Tarasova (Canisius College) – 91.000
3. Maria Koroleva, Olivia Morgan (Stanford) – 90.125
4. Debbie Chen, Taylor Durand (Stanford) – 89.375
5. Saki Fujise and Seyeon Min (Incarnate Word) – 86.625
Trio Semifinal Results (Top 5)
1. Barbara Nesbitt, Deborah Shim, Michelle Theriault (Ohio State) – 91.250
2. Meghan Kinney, Paige Ramsey, Caitlin Stewart (Ohio State) – 90.750
3. Taylor Durand, Maria Koroleva, Olivia Morgan (Stanford) – 90.250
4. Madison Crocker, Morgan Fuller, Michelle Moore (Stanford) – 88.000
5. 5. Brianna Andreychuk, Seyeon Min, Molly Knight (Incarnate Word) – 87.250