COLUMBUS, Ohio – The 62nd-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team improved to 7-1 in Big Ten play with a 5-2 victory against Indiana Saturday afternoon. The Buckeyes (14-9, 7-2 Big Ten) used the doubles point and four singles victories to power past the Hoosiers (12-9, 2-7 Big Ten) on the road in Bloomington, Ind.
Gabby Steele and Fidan Manashirova picked up the first doubles win for Ohio State, defeating Katya Zapadalova and Sophie Garre, 8-4, on court three. The Scarlet and Gray’s top doubles tandem of Kelsey Haviland and Cami Hubbs earned an upset victory against 48th-ranked Leslie Hureau and Myriam Sopel, 8-4.
Kara Cecil and Noelle Malley took down Indiana’s Kayla Fujimoto and Evgeniya Vertesheva, 8-6, on court two to complete the sweep.
Steele put the Buckeyes up 2-0 with a 6-0, 6-3 win against Zapadalova on court three before Vertesheva, the 115th-ranked singles player, moved the score to 2-1 with a 6-3, 6-0 victory against Haviland at No. 2.
The Buckeyes and Hoosiers then traded another pair of victories to make the score 3-2 in favor of Ohio State. Hubbs picked up a 6-3, 6-2 win against Indiana’s Sopel on court six before Hureau, ranked 62nd nationally, downed Paloma Escobedo at the top spot, 6-3, 6-2.
Cecil shut the door on the Indiana comeback with her 6-4, 6-3 win against Charlotte Martin on court four, followed by Manashirova’s 7-5, 4-6, 6-4 win over Fujimoto on court six to finalize the score at 5-2.
Ohio State will finish its regular season Sunday with a match against Purdue at 11 a.m. The Boilermakers defeated Penn State Saturday, 6-1, to stay just a win behind the Buckeyes in the Big Ten standings. Ohio State currently sits in third.
Ohio State 5, Indiana 2
Apr 23, 2011 at Bloomington, Ind. (IU Tennis Complex)
1. Leslie Hureau (IU) def. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IU) def. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Katya Zapadalova (IU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Kara Cecil (OSU) def. Charlotte Martin (IU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Kayla Fujimoto (IU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
6. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Myriam Sopel (IU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Kelsey Haviland/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Leslie Hureau/Myriam Sopel (IU) 8-4
2. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Kayla Fujimoto/Evgeniya Vertesheva (IU) 8-6
3. Gabby Steele/Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Katya Zapadalova/Sophie Garre (IU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,2,6,1,4,5)