COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 43 Ohio State women’s tennis team (6-3, 1-0 Big Ten) fell to No. 9 Virginia (10-1), 4-1, in the semifinals of the 2011 Blue Gray National Tennis Classic Saturday in Montgomery, Ala.
The Cavaliers took the doubles point and the top three singles matches to advance to the tournament final against Notre Dame.
The Buckeyes battled in doubles but ultimately fell to a pair of ranked Cavalier teams at the second and third spots. The 67th-ranked duo of Lindsey Hardenbergh and Erin Vierra downed Kelsey Haviland and Gabby Steele, 8-3, before the 51st-ranked tandem of Maria Fuccillo and Rashmi Teltumbde took down Kara Cecil and Noelle Malley, 8-4.
Virginia pushed its lead to 2-0 after Hardenbergh, ranked 67th nationally in singles as well, picked up a straight-sets win against Haviland on court two, 6-4, 6-0. Fidan Manashirova pulled the Buckeyes back within a point with a 6-3, 6-3 victory on court five against Fuccillo. The sophomore has now won 14-consecutive singles matches.
Virginia’s Emily Fraser, ranked 41st nationally, earned a win against Paloma Escobedo at the top position, 6-4, 6-4, to move the Cavaliers within a point of match victory.
Ohio State showed its resilience by pushing the remaining three matches into third sets. After a lengthy match, the 54th-ranked Vierra closed the door on a Buckeye comeback with a 7-6, 4-6, 6-1 win against Cecil on court three.
The Buckeyes will face No. 22 Oklahoma Sunday at 11 a.m. CT in a battle for third place at the tournament. The next home match for Ohio State is Friday against Louisville. The Buckeyes and the Cardinals face off at 6 p.m. in the OSU Varsity Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Virginia vs Ohio State
Feb 26, 2011 at Montgomery, Ala.
(Lagoon Park Tennis Center)
#9 Virginia 4, #43 Ohio State 1
1. #41 Emily Fraser (UVA) def. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. #67 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVA) def. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) 6-4, 6-0
3. #54 Erin Vierra (UVA) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 7-6, 4-6, 6-1
4. Gabby Steele (OSU) vs. Hana Tomljanovic (UVA) 7-6, 4-6, 2-3, unfinished
5. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Maria Fuccillo (UVA) 6-3, 6-3
6. Cami Hubbs (OSU) vs. Caryssa Peretz (UVA) 6-3, 6-7, 3-5, unfinished
1. Paloma Escobedo/Cami Hubbs (OSU) vs. #10 Emily Fraser/Hana Tomljanovic (UVA), 4-7, unfinished
2. #67 Lindsey Hardenbergh/Erin Vierra (UVA) def. Kelsey Haviland/Gabby Steele (OSU) 8-3
3. #51 Maria Fuccillo/Rashmi Teltumbde (UVA) def. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (OSU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,1,1,3)
Blue Gray National Tennis Classic semifinals