Feb. 5, 2016
COLUMBUS, Ohio – With four straight-set wins in singles, the No. 8-seed Ohio State women’s tennis team downed Fresno State, 4-2, in the first round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championship Friday in Madison, Wis. The Buckeyes, now 6-0 on the year, advance to take on No. 1 Vanderbilt in the quarterfinals at 4:30 p.m. ET Saturday. The Commodores defeated Duke, 4-0, in the first round. Against the Bulldogs, the Buckeyes dropped the doubles point but posted four singles wins for the team victory.
“We lost a really tough doubles point today but I am really impressed with how we came out in the singles,” Melissa Schaub, Ohio State head coach, said. “We showed a lot of maturity and fight today. I am really proud of all of the girls.”
Buckeye sophomore Olivia Sneed and freshman Francesca Di Lorenzo were first off the court in doubles, winning 6-4 over Sofya Maylsheva and Olivia Noble on court three. The Bulldogs tied doubles when No. 58-ranked Sophie Watts and Anneka Watts won 7-5 on court two over Ohio State juniors Gabriella De Santis and Ferny Angeles Paz. The doubles point came down to court one, where the Bulldog duo of Mayar Sherif Ahmed and Rana Sherif Ahmed won in a close tiebreaker, 7-6 (9), over the Buckeyes’ No. 6-ranked team of junior Miho Kowase and sophomore Anna Sanford to give Fresno State a 1-0 lead heading into singles.
The Buckeyes won the first three completed singles matches to take a 3-1 lead. Angeles Paz was a 6-3, 6-0 winner against Emma Wilson on court five, followed by Sneed’s 6-2, 6-2 win over A. Watts at No. 6. On court one, Di Lorenzo, ranked No. 2, posted a 6-2, 6-1 win over M. Sherif Ahmed.
Fresno State then drew within one (3-2) when S. Watts defeated De Santis, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 2. At No. 3 against R. Sherif Ahmed, Sanford won the first set in a tiebreaker, 7-6 (2) and then carried her momentum into set two to cruise to a 6-1 win to clinch the Buckeyes’ fourth point and the team victory.
The final match, between Kowase and Galia Bykova on court four, was suspended with Kowase up, 6-2, 5-4.
This is the Buckeyes’ second appearance in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship and the first since 2001.
Ohio State vs Fresno State
Feb 05, 2016 at Madison, Wis.
(Nielsen Tennis Stadium)
#16 Ohio State 4, #30 Fresno State 2
1. Francesca Di Lorenzo (OSU) def. Mayar Sherif Ahmed (FRST) 6-2, 6-1
2. Sophie Watts (FRST) def. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Anna Sanford (OSU) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FRST) 7-6 (7-2), 6-1
4. Galia Bykova (FRST) vs. Miho Kowase (OSU) 2-6, 4-5, unfinished
5. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Emma Wilson (FRST) 6-3, 6-0
6. Olivia Sneed (OSU) def. Anneka Watts (FRST) 6-2, 6-2
1. Mayar Sherif Ahmed/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FRST) def. #6 Anna Sanford/Miho Kowase (OSU) 7-6 (11-9)
2. #58 Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FRST) def. Gabriella De Santis/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) 7-5
3. Olivia Sneed/Francesca Di Lorenzo (OSU) def. Sofya Maylsheva/Olivia Noble (FRST) 6-4
Ohio State 6-0; National ranking #16
Fresno State 2-2; National ranking #30
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,6,1,2,3)
2016 ITA National Women’s Team Indoor Championship – First Round