April 13, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio – In its home season finale, the 49th-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team dominated No.37 Purdue, 5-2, on Senior Day, to secure a perfect 12-0 ledger at the Varsity Tennis Center this spring. After downing No. 41 Indiana Friday, the Buckeyes have defeated their last three ranked opponents to improve to 16-7 in the dual season with a 6-3 record in B1G competition.
Ohio State, who is 16-1 when winning the doubles point this spring, notched back-to-back wins on courts two and three to claim the doubles point vs. Purdue. The 75th-ranked Buckeye tandem of Ferny Angeles Paz and Miho Kowase improved to 13-0 in the dual season with an 8-2 victory vs. Nicole Robinson and Claudia Escribens on court three. Sandy Niehaus and Gabriella De Santis tallied their ninth-straight doubles win, defeating Krisztina Kapitany, 8-3, to give the Buckeyes a 1-0 lead vs. the Boilermakers. On court one, Malley and sophomore Grainne O’Neill led Mara Schmidt and Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum before play was suspended.
The Buckeyes won four singles matches en route to the victory. Angeles Paz added the first point for the Buckeyes in singles play, topping Kapitany, 6-0, 6-3. No. 83 De Santis collected her team-high eighth-win in conference competition as she downed Mara Schmidt, 6-3, 6-1, at the No. 1 position. Niehaus secured the team victory defeating Robinson, 6-3, with a 6-3, 6-3, victory on court four.
At No. 5, Flower dropped a 6-3, 6-4 decision to Andjela Djokovic to put the Boilermakers on the board for the first time. After dropping the first set vs. Bernard-Feigenbaum, Kowase rallied back to win the second before her opponent retired to give the Buckeyes a 5-1 lead. O’Neill wrapped up play vs. the Boilermakers, falling in a second-set tiebreaker, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4).
Up next, Ohio State will conclude the regular season on the road playing Iowa April 18 in Iowa City, Iowa, before facing Nebraska April 20 in Lincoln, Neb. Ohio State will then compete in the Big Ten Tournament April 24-28 in Evanston, Ill.
Tennis Match Results
Purdue vs Ohio State
Apr 13, 2014 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#49 Ohio State 5, #37 Purdue 2
1. #83 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Mara Schmidt (PUR-W) 6-3, 6-1
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. T.Bernard-Feigenbaum (PUR-W) 3-6, 6-3, retired
3. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Nicole Robinson (PUR-W) 6-3, 6-3
4. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Krisztina Kapitany (PUR-W) 6-0, 6-2
5. Andjela Djokovic (PUR-W) def. Nicole Flower (OSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Claudia Escribens (PUR-W) def. Grainne O’Neill (OSU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
1. Grainne O’Neill/Noelle Malley (OSU) vs. Mara Schmidt/T.Bernard-Feigenbaum (PUR-W) 5-4, unfinished
2. Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Krisztina Kapitany/Natalia Davila (PUR-W) 8-3
3. #75 Miho Kowase/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Nicole Robinson/Claudia Escribens (PUR-W) 8-2
Purdue 10-8, 6-3 B1G; National ranking #37
Ohio State 16-7, 6-3 B1G; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,1,3,5,2,6)