COLUMBUS, Ohio – For the second time this weekend, the No. 4 Ohio State men’s tennis team captured a 6-1 victory over a ranked SEC team as it handed the No. 11 Georgia Bulldogs their first loss of the season Sunday at the Varsity Indoor Tennis Center. For the third-consecutive match the Buckeyes have defeated a ranked opponent and with the victory, they have won a school-record 117-consecutive home matches.
In three highly-contested doubles matches, Ohio State proved victorious in the final two to earn the doubles point. Buckeyes Devin McCarthy and Balazs Novak let a 6-4 lead slip away as they lost a close one to Georgia’s Wil Spencer and Drake Bernstein, 8-6, in the first doubles match.
Ohio State would win the last two matches in nail-biting fashion. In a battle of Top 25-ranked teams, senior Matt Allare and redshirt-freshman Peter Kobelt came away with an 8-6 victory. The No. 6-ranked team in the country, Chase Buchanan and Blaz Rola fought back after trailing early to come away with an 8-6 win over the No. 14-ranked team of Javier Garrapiz and Hernus Pieters to claim the doubles point for Ohio State.
Singles play included eight players that were part of the initial ITA singles rankings. Buchanan was the first Buckeye to finish, defeating No. 13 Garrapiz in straight-sets, 6-3, 6-3. Novak also won in straight-sets, 6-2, 6-2, over Campbell Johnson to give the Buckeyes their third point of the afternoon. Both Novak and Buchanan moved to 7-0 in dual singles action this season.
In the closest two-set match of the day, Rola, the seventh-ranked player in the country, handed Spencer, No. 53 in the country, a 6-1, 7-6 (11-9) loss. Rola improved to 19-2 in singles action on the year. Freshman Ille Van Engelen came back after losing the first set to down Bernstein 2-6, 6-2, 6-3.
Rounding out singles competition, McCarthy won a, 6-7, 6-4, 10-6, decision over Bulldog Hernus Pieters. Allare was the lone Buckeye coming up empty-handed, falling to No. 47 Sadio Doumbia in a tough match, 4-6, 6-3, 7-5.
The Buckeyes will host another SEC opponent when the LSU Tigers visit Columbus at 5 p.m. Feb. 12th. Ohio State will then make its first road trip of the season to Chapel Hill, N.C., to play the No. 20 Tar Heels at 2:30 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
No. 4 Ohio State 6, No. 11 Georgia
Feb 06, 2011 at Columbus, Ohio
1. #7 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #53 Wil Spencer (UGA) 6-1, 7-6 (11-9)
2. #63 Chase Buchanan (OSU) def. #13 Javier Garrapiz (UGA) 6-3, 6-3
3. #47 Sadio Doumbia (UGA) def. #34 Matt Allare (OSU) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
4. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Drake Bernstein (UGA) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. #46 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. #119 Hernus Pieters (UGA) 6-7, 6-4, 10-6
6. Balazs Novak (OSU) def. Campbell Johnson (UGA) 6-2, 6-2
1. #6 Blaz Rola/Chase Buchanan (OSU) def. #14 Javier Garrapiz/Hernus Pieters (UGA) 8-6
2. #19 Matt Allare/Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. #23 Ignacio Taboada/Sadio Doumbia (UGA) 8-6
3. Wil Spencer/Drake Bernstein (UGA) def. #25 Balazs Novak/Devin McCarthy (OSU) 8-6
Georgia 4-1; National ranking #11
Ohio State 7-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,6,1,4,5,3)
Official: Vince Solomon T-4:00 A-342