COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 4 Ohio State men’s tennis team lost, 4-1, to No. 1 Virginia Sunday in the semifinals of the ITA National Team Indoor Championship, hosted by the University of Washington at the Nordstrom Tennis Center.
In an ultra-competitive doubles session that saw each match come down to the wire, Virginia squeaked by the Buckeyes to claim the initial point of the match. It was the third-consecutive day and third time this year Ohio State fell behind, 1-0. The Scarlet and Gray previously had won the doubles point in their first nine matches to begin the season.
Senior co-captain Matt Allare and freshman Ille Van Engelen teamed up for the first time this season, only to come up short, 8-5, to Cavalier duo Drew Courtney and Steven Rooda at No. 3. Virginia’s Michael Shabaz and Alex Domijan rallied from a 7-6 deficit to earn the win, defeating Chase Buchanan and Blaz Rola, the nation’s sixth-ranked duo, 9-7, at the No. 1 position.
All 10 players competing in singles matches at Nos. 1 through No. 5 were ranked in the ITA poll, ranging from No. 2 Domijan of Virginia to No. 103 Engelen of Ohio State.
Singh, the 13th-ranked player in the country put Virginia up 2-0, defeating Van Engelen in straight-sets 6-1, 6-2 at No. 3 singles. Redshirt-sophomore Devin McCarthy gave the Buckeyes hope, cutting Virginia’s lead to, 2-1, with a 6-4, 7-5 upset over No. 23 Courtney at No. 5.
However, Virginia would prove its No. 1 ranking worthy, winning the next two matches at Nos. 1 and 2 to advance to the final to face No. 3 Tennessee. The second-ranked player nationally, Cavalier Domijan downed Buchanan 6-4, 6-3 and Shabaz handed No. 5 Rola a 6-4, 7-5 setback to claim the fourth and final point.
Up next, Ohio State will return to the Varsity Tennis Center in Columbus Thursday where it will host a doubleheader vs. Cleveland State Wright State at noon and 5 p.m., respectively. Admission is free.
Tennis Match Results
Semifinals of 2011 National Men’s Tennis Team Indoor Championships
#1 Virginia 4, #4 Ohio State 1
Feb. 20, 2011 at Seattle, Wash.
(Nordstrom Tennis Center)
1. #15 Michael Shabaz (UVA) def. #5 Blaz Rola (OSU) 6-4, 7-5
2. #2 Alex Domijan (UVA) def. #21 Chase Buchanan (OSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. #13 Sanam Singh (UVA) def. #103 Ille Van Engelen (OSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. #25 Jarmere Jenkins (UVA) vs. #45 Matt Allare (OSU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-5, unf.
5. #55 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. #23 Drew Courtney (UVA) 6-4, 7-5
6. Justin Shane (UVA) vs. Balazs Novak (OSU) 2-6, 2-2, unfinished
1. Michael Shabaz/Alex Domijan (VA) def. #6 Chase Buchanan/Blaz Rola (OSU) 9-7
2. #66 Devin McCarthy/Balazs Novak (OSU) vs. Sanam Singh/Jarmere Jenkins (VA) -unf.
3. Drew Courtney/Steven Rooda (VA) def. Matt Allare/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) 8-5
Ohio State 11-1; National ranking #4
Virginia 13-0; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,5,2,1)
Semifinals of 2011 National Men’s Tennis Team Indoor Championship