LEXINGTON, Ky. – Ohio State completed its three-match road stretch with a 4-2 win at No. 22 Kentucky on Wednesday afternoon at the Boone Tennis Complex. The win improves the Buckeyes to 19-2 on the season.
Noting the win
- This was the seventh-straight victory on the season for the Buckeyes and the fifth-straight against Kentucky.
- This was the 17th time this season the Buckeyes won the doubles point and they have went on to win the overall match each time
- Mikael Torpegaard and John McNally won 6-4 at the No. 2 spot but then Martin Joyce and JJ Wolf fell on court one to even the doubles point at 1-1.
- Hunter Tubert and Matt Mendez then clinched the point by winning two-straight games for a 6-4 victory.
- In singles, Kentucky evened the overall score at 1-1 as Trey Yates downed Kyle Seelig 6-3, 6-4 on court four.
- Torpegaard then dropped just his fourth dual match of the season and the host Wildcats took a brief 2-1 lead.
- JJ Wolf shortly followed with a 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 victory over No. 54 Will Bushamuka to improve to 15-6 on the year.
- This was Wolf’s ninth three-set match this year and he is 7-2 in those matches. He was won each of his last seven three-setters.
- Freshman John McNally dropped the opening set 6-4 to No. 115 Enzo Wallart but then battled back to claim a key win with 6-4, 6-4 wins in the second and third sets.
- Playing indoors, there were just four courts available which meant Joyce and Tubert had to wait to begin their matches at Nos. 5 and 6.
- Joyce started first and dropped the first set 6-3 to Austin Hussey but he too came back to win the next two sets (6-3, 6-2) and clinch the 4-2 victory for the Buckeyes.
- Tubert took the first set 6-3 and was on serve at 1-1 in the second with Gus Benson when the match was decided.
The Buckeyes return home for four-straight matches beginning with a 6 p.m. tilt Friday evening with Iowa. That will be followed this Sunday with a Noon match against Nebraska.
#3 Ohio State 4, #22 Kentucky 2
1. #26 Ryotaro Matsumura (KENTUCKY) def. #3 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 6-4
2. #43 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. #54 Will Bushamuka (KENTUCKY) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
3. #98 John McNally (OSU) def. #115 Enzo Wallart (KENTUCKY) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. #71 Trey Yates (KENTUCKY) def. Kyle Seelig (OSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. #123 Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Austin Hussey (KENTUCKY) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Gus Benson (KENTUCKY) vs. Hunter Tubert (OSU) 3-6, 1-1, unfinished
1. #41 Cesar Bourgois/Gus Benson (KENTUCKY) def. Martin Joyce/JJ Wolf (OSU) 6-3
2. John McNally/Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. Will Bushamuka/Austin Hussey (KENTUCKY) 6-3
3. Hunter Tubert/Matt Mendez (OSU) def. Enzo Wallart/Ryotaro Matsumura (KENTUCKY) 6-4
Ohio State 19-2; National ranking #3
Kentucky 13-8; National ranking #22
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,1,2,3,5)