COLUMBUS, Ohio – The 25th-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team (15-4, 2-1 Big Ten) downed the 56th-ranked Minnesota Golden Gophers (9-8, 2-2 Big Ten), 7-0, at home Friday at the Stickney Tennis Center. The Buckeyes won three singles matches in three sets, rallying from a set down on courts one and two.
The Buckeyes opened up their first outdoor home match of the season by taking the doubles point and a 1-0 lead. Minnesota’s duo of Alessandra Ferrazzi and Alexa Palen topped Kelsey Haviland and Cami Hubbs on court one, 8-1, but Ohio State’s Paloma Escobedo and Christina Keesey tied doubles at one apiece after an 8-4 victory on court two over Tijana Koprivica and Jackie Sperling.
The Buckeye freshman tandem of Gabby Steele and Fidan Manashirova clinched the doubles point after battling to an 8-6 win against Doron Muravnik and Mariana Spilca at No. 3.
In singles, Keesey expanded the lead for the Scarlet and Gray, winning in straight sets against Magdalena Wiecha, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 6. Steele moved the Buckeyes one point closer to victory after her own straight set win against Muravnik, 6-3, 6-4, at the fourth position.
Manashirova earned the clinching point after taking her No. 5 singles match against Sperling in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1. Haviland stormed back from a 5-2 deficit to take the first set 7-6 against Palen. The Buckeye sophomore took the second set to finish the No. 3 match with a final score of 7-6, 6-2.
Escobedo dropped the first set to Minnesota’s Koprivica, but rallied to take the final two sets to win, 1-6, 6-3, 6-4, on court two. No. 66-ranked Kirsten Flower wrapped up the shutout in similar fashion, defeating Ferrazzi, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2, on court one.
The win put this year’s team in the record books, tying a single-season school record for shutouts at eight. Barbara Mueller’s 1978-79 team set the record but was tied during the 2006-07 season under the direction of current head coach Chuck Merzbacher.
The Buckeyes return to the Stickney Tennis Center Sunday to host the Iowa Hawkeyes at 11 a.m.
Ohio State Women’s Tennis
Minnesota vs Ohio State (Apr 02, 2010)
#25 Ohio State 7, #56 Minnesota 0
Apr 02, 2010 at Columbus, Ohio (Stickney Tennis Center)
1. #66 Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi (MINN) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Tijana Koprivica (MINN) 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) def. Alexa Palen (MINN) 7-6, 6-2
4. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Doron Muravnik (MINN) 6-3, 6-4
5. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Jackie Sperling (MINN) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
6. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) 6-3, 6-4
1. Alessandra Ferrazzi/Alexa Palen (MINN) def. Kelsey Haviland/Cami Hubbs (OSU) 8-1
2. Paloma Escobedo/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Tijana Koprivica/Jackie Sperling (MINN) 8-4
3. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Doron Muravnik/Mariana Spilca (MINN) 8-7
Minnesota 9-7; National ranking #56
Ohio State 14-4; National ranking #25
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,4,5,3,2,1)