#24 Ohio State (10-6, 1-3) vs. #9 Michigan State (16-1, 4-0)
Sunday, Jan. 16, 2011 – Noon ET
Value City Arena
TV: Big Ten Network (Leah Secondo, Stephanie White)
Radio: The Fan 1460 AM (Marty Bannister, Kristin Watt)
Listen for FREE at www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com
• Though Ohio State leads the all-time series with Michigan State, 46-23, the series has been one of the most competitive in the Big Ten in recent years. The two teams have split the last 10 meetings overall, with Ohio State winning seven of the last 12.
• Six of the last seven meetings have been decided by an average of 4.3 points, including two 3-point game last year.
• Jim Foster is 9-7 against Michigan State in his Ohio State career.
• Ohio State currently has an RPI ranking of No. 16 according to Realtimerpi.com and boasts the fifth-toughest schedule in the country.
• Jantel Lavender leads the Big Ten and ranks fourth in the NCAA with 23.5 ppg. She also leads the Big Ten and ranks seventh in the NCAA with 11.6 rebounds.
• Lavender set a Value City Arena record with 22 rebounds against Indiana Jan. 5.
• Lavender is the second-leading active scorer in the nation (2,420) behind UConn’s Maya Moore.
• Lavender has scored 10+ points in all 118 career games, the longest active streak in Division I.
• Lavender is 36 boards away from becoming the Big Ten’s all-time leading rebounder.
• Samantha Prahalis leads the Big Ten and is fifth in the nation with 6.5 assists per game.
Scouting The Spartans
No. 9/10 Michigan State is 16-1 and in first place in the Big Ten with a 4-0 mark after scoring a 63-60 win over Iowa at home Thursday. They are one of the top defensive teams in the Big Ten, holding opponents to league lows of 52.9 points per game, 36.4 percent from the field and 27.5 percent from the 3-point arc. They also lead the Big Ten in rebounding margin (+8.1), steals (11.0), offensive rebounds (15.1) and scoring margin (+17.2). Senior forward Kalisha Keane leads the Spartans with 16.2 ppg while junior forward Lykendra Johnson tops the Big Ten in steals with 2.7 per game. Junior forward Taylor Alton leads the Big Ten in three-point shooting at 51.4 percent. Suzy Merchant (Notre Dame, 1992) is in her fourth year at Michigan State with a record of 94-36 and 285-156 in her 16th season overall.
Series Record: OSU leads 46-23
Series in 2009-10: Tied, 1-1
Last Meeting: 2/21/09, MSU, 68-71
In Columbus: OSU leads 18-10
Next Meeting: Feb. 24 in East Lansing
Complete game notes available at the link above