Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
2018-19 Schedule| 2018 Roster| Box Score| Season Stats
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Despite holding a one goal lead for 18 minutes, the No. 22 Ohio State Buckeyes were unable to hold off the No. 6 Penn State Nittany Lions in a 3-2 decision at Buckeye Varsity Field. The Buckeyes (4-3) fall to 0-1 in conference play while the Nittany Lions (4-2) improve to 1-0.
- Penn State was first on the board, scoring eight minutes into the first half.
- Freshman Sina Schwinn recorded the Buckeyes’ first goal and tied the game after 20 minutes of play. Neither team scored again before the half.
- Senior Kelsey Nolan pushed the Buckeyes over the Nittany Lions with a goal in the 41st minute. The Buckeyes held this lead for the next 18 minutes.
- The Nittany Lions tied the game off a rebound that landed in traffic in front of the Ohio State cage. Six minutes later, they scored again to take a 3-2 lead with under four minutes to play in regulation.
- The Buckeyes fall to 12-39-2 against the Nittany Lions all time.
- This season, the Buckeyes are 2-1 against higher ranked opponents.
- Ohio State is now 2-2 on the season when tied with its opponent at half and falls to 1-3 when its opponent scores first.
- Ohio State only took three penalty corners in the contest, all of which occurred in the second half.
- Kelsey Nolan scored her first goal of the season against Penn State. It was the second career goal for the senior.
- Sina Schwinn scored her second goal of the season and of her career.
- The Buckeyes’ two goals in the contest were the most scored against a Penn State team since the Ohio State scored three in a loss to the Nittany Lions on 9/8/2014.
The Buckeyes return to Buckeye Varsity Field on Sunday to play Miami (OH) on Sunday at 1 p.m. This will be the first of four more nonconference games that Ohio State will play this season.