Jan. 27, 2018
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 2 Ohio State Buckeyes find success on their first match of the weekend, dispatching of Yale in the semifinals of the ITA Kickoff. This continues the Buckeye’s sweep streak to start the season. The Scarlet and Gray move up to 3-0, while the Bulldogs drop to 2-2.
The Buckeyes were firing on all cylinders early on, as no doubles team gave up more than two games. First to win for the Buckeyes were Matt Mendez and Hunter Tubert, who earned two straight breaks after starting 2-2 to take the set 6-2 against Nathan Brown and Dylan King. Almost immediately after, JJ Wolf and John McNally defeated Andrew Heller and Ziqi Wang 6-1 to clinch the doubles point. Mikael Torpegaard and Martin Joyce were leading 5-2 against Stefan Doehler and Fedor Andrienko when play was halted.
The Buckeyes continued their dominance in singles as well, as no team has yet gotten a set on the Scarlet and Gray. No Buckeye gave up more than three games in a set today as the match was completed in less than an hour and a half. First to finish for the Buckeyes was Martin Joyce, who only gave up one game in a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Nathan Brown. Within seconds of each other, John McNally and Tim Seibert followed up with victories over Stefan Doehler and Dylan King respectively. McNally broke twice in each set to win 6-1, 6-1, while Seibert really found his rhythm in the second set to win 6-3, 6-0.
The other three matches were all in favor of the Buckeyes with all Ohio State players winning at least one set. Wolf was closest to earning the victory, as he was up a break 6-1, 4-3 in the second set over Ziqi Wang. Torpegaard was on serve at 6-3, 2-2 against Andrew Heller. Kyle Seelig was having a competitive match against Fedor Andrienko, down a break in the second set after winning the first to make it 6-3, 1-3 when match play was stopped.
Next up for the Buckeyes is a noon match tomorrow at the Varsity Tennis Center against North Florida, who won their semifinal match against Tulsa. This upcoming match for Ohio State will be the ITA Kick-Off final, with the winner advancing to the National Indoor Championships. To close out the weekend, the Buckeyes will have a match separate from the tournament against Toledo at 5 p.m. at the VTC.
#2 Ohio State 4, Yale 0
1. #5 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) vs. Andrew Heller (YALE) 6-3, 2-2, unfinished
2. #60 JJ Wolf (OSU) vs. Ziqi Wang (YALE) 6-1, 4-3, unfinished
3. #57 John McNally (OSU) def. Stefan Doehler (YALE) 6-1, 6-1
4. Tim Seibert (OSU) def. Dylan King (YALE) 6-3, 6-0
5. #26 Kyle Seelig (OSU) vs. Fedor Andrienko (YALE) 6-3, 1-3, unfinished
6. #102 Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Nathan Brown (YALE) 6-0, 6-1
1. Martin Joyce/Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) vs. #50 Stefan Doehler/Fedor Andrienko (YALE) 5-2, unfinished
2. JJ Wolf/John McNally (OSU) def. Andrew Heller/Ziqi Wang (YALE) 6-1
3. Matt Mendez/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Nathan Brown/Dylan King (YALE) 6-2
Ohio State 3-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,3,4)
Official: Marcus Lee T-1:25 A-256