Jan. 28, 2018
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 2 Ohio State Buckeyes continue their early season dominance as they cruise past the Toledo Rockets. The Scarlet and Gray advance to 5-0 in dual match play, while Toledo drops to 1-3. The Buckeyes have not yet given up a point, going 24-0 in points. They have also not lost a set in doubles, and have only lost two sets in singles. However, these streaks will be tough to maintain, as the Buckeye’s next three matches are against three top-10 opponents.
Doubles went smoothly, with JJ Wolf/Hunter Tubert and Matt Mendez/Riley Reist getting 6-1 and 6-2 wins. Singles also went by pretty quickly. From the four matches that ended, five total games were won by the Rockets. Torpegaard finished first on court 2. After than, within about 30 seconds of each other, Wolf, Kyle Seelig and Tim Seibert all won their respective matches to give the Buckeyes the 5-0 win.
The Scarlet and Gray now focus on their next three matches, which will be at the Varsity Tennis Center. The Buckeyes will have their first three ranked matches of the season over the next two weeks. They will be facing No. 7-9 in Texas, Texas A&M, and Florida before travelling to Seattle to partake in the National Indoor Championships. First up is a meeting with No. 8 Texas on Saturday, February 3rd at 1 p.m.
#2 Ohio State 5, Toledo 0
1. #60 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Luka Vitosevic (UT) 6-0, 6-1
2. #5 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. Vince Anzalone (UT) 6-1, 6-0
3. Tim Seibert (OSU) def. Danilo Vukotic (UT) 6-1, 6-1
4. #26 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Thawin Suksathaporn (UT) 6-0, 6-1
5. Hunter Tubert (OSU) vs. Serjen Olmedo (UT) 6-1, 2-1, unfinished
6. Joseph Thomas (OSU) vs. Nikola Arsic (UT) 4-6, 2-1, unfinished
1. Mikael Torpegaard/Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Vince Anzalone/Luka Vitosevic (UT) 5-4, unfinished
2. JJ Wolf/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Serjen Olmedo/Thawin Suksathaporn (UT) 6-1
3. Matt Mendez/Riley Reist (OSU) def. Stephen Miller/Juan Carranza (UT) 6-2
Ohio State 5-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,1,3,4)
Official: Marcus Lee T-1:23 A-81