April 2, 2017
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 2-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team topped Big Ten foe Maryland, 7-0, Sunday at the Varsity Tennis Courts. The Buckeyes improve to 19-2 and 5-0 in conference play, while the No. 37-ranked Terrapins fall to 12-4 and 3-3 in conference play.
The Buckeyes gained the 1-0 advantage going into singles after clinching the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. Ohio State posted straight set victories on all six singles courts to sweep the Terrapins, notching its 29th straight win on its home courts.
“Maryland is a good team and we knew we had to be ready,” Melissa Schaub, Ohio State head coach, said. “It was really good for us to get outside. The biggest thing is to make sure we’re trying to get better every single day and make sure we’re taking care of business. We played confidently and did that today.”
In doubles, the senior pair of Ferny Angeles Paz and Gabriella De Santis was the first off the court after topping Kristina Hovsepyan and Kate Yemelyaenka on court three, 6-1. The No. 16-ranked pair of sophomore Francesca Di Lorenzo and senior Miho Kowase clinched the doubles point on court one with a 6-2 win over Caroline Williams and Ekaterina Tour. The duo of junior Anna Sanford and senior Sandy Niehaus was ahead 5-4 over Arnelle Sullivan and Cassandre Thebault on court two when play was suspended.
No. 92 Angeles Paz topped Williams, 6-0, 6-2, on court six for the first singles victory for the Scarlet and Gray. No. 54 Sanford notched a 6-0, 6-1 win over Yemelyaenka on court three shortly afterwards. On court five, No. 70 Niehaus downed Hovsepyan on court five, 6-1, 6-1, to pick up her 10th win in a row and secure the team victory over Maryland.
No. 72 Kowase defeated Thebault, 6-1, 6-1, on court four to put the Buckeyes ahead 5-0 and extend her winning streak to 16. On court one, No. 1 Di Lorenzo topped Tour, 6-0, 6-4, for her 10th straight win. After battling to win a close first set, 7-5, No. 80 De Santis easily won the second, 6-2, to secure the sweep against the Terrapins.
Kowase is 16-0 this spring to lead the Buckeyes, while Di Lorenzo, Angeles Paz and Niehaus are all 15-1.
The Buckeyes will travel to Iowa City, Iowa, to face Big Ten opponent Iowa at 7 p.m. ET Friday and will head to Lincoln, Neb., to take on conference foe Nebraska at 1 p.m. ET Sunday.
Maryland vs Ohio State
Apr 01, 2017 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Courts)
#2 Ohio State 7, #37 Maryland 0
1. #1 Francesca Di Lorenzo (OSU) def. Ekaterina Tour (UMD) 6-0, 6-4
2. #80 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Arnelle Sullivan (UMD) 7-5, 6-2
3. #54 Anna Sanford (OSU) def. Kate Yemelyanenka (UMD) 6-0, 6-1
4. #72 Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Cassandre Thebault (UMD) 6-1, 6-1
5. #70 Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Kristina Hovsepyan (UMD) 6-1, 6-1
6. #92 Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Caroline Williams (UMD) 6-0, 6-2
1. #16 Miho Kowase/Francesca Di Lorenzo (OSU) def. Ekaterina Tour/Caroline Williams (UMD) 6-2
2. Anna Sanford/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) vs. Arnelle Sullivan/Cassandre Thebault (UMD) 5-4, unfinished
3. Gabriella De Santis/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Kristina Hovsepyan/Kate Yemelyanenka (UMD) 6-1
Maryland 12-4, 3-3 B1G; National ranking #37
Ohio State 19-2, 5-0 B1G; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,3,5,4,1,2)
Official: Jerri Banks T-2:12 A-91