Feb. 26, 2016
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 2 Buckeyes carried its outstanding play this spring into the Big Ten with a 7-0 defeat of the Nittany Lions Friday in the first conference match of the season for both teams.
Ohio State, now 11-1, returns to Columbus Sunday when it hosts No. 24 Arizona State. The match begins at noon at the Varsity Tennis Center. Admission is free.
Ohio State got off to a quick start in doubles competition. Winning the first match, Ohio State’s Francesca Di Lorenzo and Olivia Sneed defeated Katherine Whiteaway and Jacqueline Zuhse 6-3 on court two. Di Lorenzo and Sneed are now 10-8 in dual matches. On court one, the fourth-ranked duo of Anna Sanford and Miho Kowase bested Devan McCluskey and Kimberley Surin 6-4 to clinch the point and give the Buckeyes a 1-0 lead in the match.
In singles play, Ohio State continued its momentum. On court five, Angeles Paz defeated Penn State’s Whiteaway 6-2, 6-3 to give the Buckeyes a 2-0 lead. Angeles Paz remains even with Sneed, leading Ohio State with 10 dual match singles wins apiece on the year.
After winning a highly contested tiebreak in the first, Sanford cruised in the second to win 7-6, 6-3, putting the Buckeyes up 3-0 for the match. In similar fashion, Kowase won a first set tiebreak and propelled herself to a 6-0 rout in the second. She defeated Zuhse 7-5, 6-0 and clinched the victory for the Buckeyes.
Junior Gabriella De Santis outlasted McCluskey in three sets, emerging victorious 6-2, 4-6, 6-4. Sneed defeated Tutelman 6-2, 6-4 on court six for the sixth Buckeye point of the match.
Di Lorenzo, the nation’s top-ranked player, faced a challenge in the first set, winning a tiebreak against Surin. She carried the momentum of the first set tiebreak win into the second, winning 6-4, giving the Buckeyes a perfect 7-0 sweep.
Ohio State notched the 30th win over Penn State in program history, now 30-17 all-time and winning each of the last four meetings.
Ohio State vs Penn State
Feb 26, 2016 at University Park, Pa.
#2 Ohio State 7, Penn State 0
1. #1 Francesca Di Lorenzo (OSU) def. Kimberley Surin (PSU) 7-6, 6-4
2. Anna Sanford (OSU) def. Ekaterina Blik (PSU) 7-6, 6-3
3. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Devan McCluskey (PSU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
4. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Jacqueline Zuhse (PSU) 7-5, 6-0
5. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Katherin Whiteaway (PSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. #102 Olivia Sneed (OSU) def. Samantha Tutelman (PSU) 6-2, 6-4
1. #4 Anna Sanford/Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Devan McCluskey/Kimberley Surin (PSU) 6-4
2. Francesca Di Lorenzo/Olivia Sneed (OSU) def. Katherin Whiteaway/Jacqueline Zuhse (PSU) 6-3
3. #32 Ferny Angeles Paz/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Ekaterina Blik/Samantha Tutelman (PSU) 7-6
Ohio State 10-1 (1-0 B1G); National ranking #2
Penn State 2-5 (0-1 B1G)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,2,4,3,6,1)