Feb. 19, 2007
CHICAGO – Top-seeded Georgia beat No. 2 Ohio State 4-0 Monday in the final at the U.S. Tennis Association/Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Men’s Team Indoor Championships at the historic Midtown Tennis Club in Chicago. The University of Illinois was the host school for the event.
This is Georgia’s second straight Team Indoor title. The Bulldogs are the sixth team to repeat as champions at this event since its inception in 1973. Georgia has now won 38 of its last 39 matches over the past two seasons.
Georgia (8-0) won the doubles point and got wins in singles from freshmen Jamie Hunt and Nate Schnugg and senior John Isner. Isner clinched the match at No. 1 singles, beating Bryan Koniecko 6-3, 6-4. The win was Isner’s 40th straight in a dual match dating back to 2005.
Schnugg beat Ohio State’s Justin Kronauge 6-4, 6-3 at No. 5 singles and Hunt topped Drew Eberly 6-3, 6-1 at No. 6. Schnugg went 4-0 in singles during the tournament and Hunt went 3-0. They also went 4-0 at No. 3 doubles. Last September they won the U.S. Open junior doubles title together.
Today’s final was the first time the top two seeds have played for the title since 1996 when No. 2 UCLA beat No. 1 Stanford. This was Georgia’s second championship in five final appearances. Ohio State was making its first final appearance.
“When you play a team like Georgia you know you’re only going to have one opportunity and you can’t squander it,” Ohio State coach Ty Tucker said. “We had some chances in doubles, but couldn’t capitalize. We’ll go back to the drawing board now and just try to keep getting better.”
Ohio State beat No. 3 UCLA 4-2 in Sunday’s semifinals. Georgia beat No. 4 Virginia 4-2.
This event, which features 16 of the nation’s top programs, has annually crowned a national indoor champion every year since 1973. This is the second time in three years Midtown Tennis Club and Illinois has served as hosts.
Repeat National Team Indoor Champions
Stanford – 1975-76 and 1994-95
Southern California – 1987-88
UCLA – 1996-97
Illinois – 2003-04
NCAA/Team Indoor title sweeps in same season
Stanford – 1973, ’78, ’90, ’92, ’98 and 2000
UCLA – 1984
Illinois – 2003
No. 1 Georgia 4, No. 2 Ohio State 3
1. John Isner/Luis Flores (UGA) def. Drew Eberly/Justin Kronauge (OSU) 8-4
2. Matic Omerzel/Travis Helgeson (UGA) def. Chris Klingemann/Devin Mullings (OSU) 8-4
3. Jamie Hunt/Nate Schnugg (UGA) vs. Bryan Koniecko/Steven Moneke (OSU) did not finish
[UGA won doubles point]
1. John Isner (UGA) def. Bryan Koniecko (OSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Luis Flores (UGA) vs. Steven Moneke (OSU) 2-6, 4-3, unfinished
3. Travis Helgeson (UGA) vs. Devin Mullings (OSU) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
4. Matic Omerzel (UGA) vs. Chris Klingemann (OSU) 4-6, 4-3, unfinished
5. Nate Schnugg (UGA) def. Justin Kronauge (OSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Jamie Hunt (UGA) def. Drew Eberly (OSU) 6-3, 6-1