April 25, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio– The second-ranked and top-seeded Ohio State men’s tennis team advanced to the semifinals of the 2014 Big Ten Men’s Tennis Tournament with a 4-2 victory over eighth seed Michigan State Friday at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility in East Lansing, Mich.
Redshirt junior Kevin Metka clinched match point for the Scarlet and Gray, defeating Harry Jadun 6-1, 6-2 on No. 6 singles to improve to 27-6 overall this season.
The Buckeyes won their 23rd doubles point of the year to take a 1-0 lead vs. the Spartans. Peter Kobelt and Ralf Steinbach defeated Drew Lied and John Patrick Mullane, 8-3, on doubles No. 1. The win for Kobelt puts the OSU senior at 133 career doubles wins, which ties former Buckeye All-American and current associated head coach Justin Kronauge for first on the OSU all-time career doubles wins list. Hunter Callahan and Chris Diaz clinched the doubles point with an 8-6 win over Aaron Pfister and Brett Forman on doubles No. 3. The duo improves to 8-2 overall in 2014.
In singles, the Spartans tied it, 1-1, when Mullane defeated No. 97 Herkko Pollanen in straight sets 6-4, 6-2 at No. 2 singles. Callahan regained the lead for Ohio State when he claimed his 30th win of the year with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Gijs Linders on singles No. 5. Michigan State rebounded with a win on court No. 4 when Brett Forman downed Diaz 6-4, 6-1 to make it 2-2.
The knotted score didn’t last long as No. 7 Kobelt gave his squad a 3-2 advantage with a 7-6, 6-4 victory on court No. 1 over Lied. The singles win was his 119th career victory. Play was suspended on singles No. 3 with Steinbach trailing 7-6, 1-0 against Pfister.
Ohio State will play No. 5 seed Northwestern at 11 a.m. Saturday in the semifinals of the tournament. The Buckeyes defeated the Wildcats, 4-3, March 28 in Columbus. Ohio State has won the conference tournament nine times – 1991, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013.
Tennis Match Results
Michigan State vs Ohio State
Apr 25, 2014 at East Lansing, Mich.
(MSU Indoor Tennis Facility)
#2 Ohio State 4, #61 Michigan State 2
1. #7 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Drew Lied (MSU) 7-6, 6-4
2. John Patrick Mullane (MSU) def. #97 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) vs. Aaron Pfister (MSU) 6-7, unfinished
4. Brett Forman (MSU) def. Chris Diaz (OSU) 6-4, 6-1
5. #123 Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Gijs Linders (MSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Harry Jadun (MSU) 6-1, 6-2
1. #57 Peter Kobelt/Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Drew Lied/John Patrick Mullane (MSU) 8-3
2. Kevin Metka/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Harry Jadun/Gijs Linders (MSU) 7-4
3. Hunter Callahan/Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Aaron Pfister/Brett Forman (MSU) 8-6
Michigan State 12-14; National ranking #61
Ohio State 28-3; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,5,4,1,6)
Big Ten Men’s Tennis Tournament Quarterfinal
Ohio State: #1 seed
Michigan State: #8 seed