Feb. 20, 2004
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 16 Ohio State men’s tennis team, 7-2 overall, fell to No. 12 Virginia Commonwealth, 5-2, Friday at the Thalhimer Tennis Center in Richmond, Va. The Buckeyes are 3-2 against Top 25 opponents in the 2004 season. The squad defeated No. 24 Clemson, No. 8 Vanderbilt and No. 17 Alabama. Their two Top 25 losses came against No. 21 Georgia and the 12th-ranked Rams.
Against the Rams, the Buckeyes lost their first doubles point this season. At the No. 1 spot, Buckeyes Scott Green (So., North Canton, Ohio/Hoover) and Ross Wilson (So., Toledo, Ohio/Toledo St. Francis de Sales), ranked No. 38 in the country, dropped an 8-4 decision to VCU’s Arnaud LeCloerec and Florian Marquardt. Ohio State’s 21st-ranked pair of Jeremy Wurtzman (Sr., Rochester, N.Y./Brickhouse Academy/Florida) and Joey Atas (Fr., Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) were defeated for the first time in duals action. Wurtzman and Atas, 4-1 in doubles, fell to Rams Pedro Nieto and Marton Ott, 8-6, at the No. 2 spot.
In singles action, the Buckeyes were able to put two points on the board after wins at the Nos. 1 and 6 positions. Wurtzman, the No. 1 singles player in the country, improved his duals record to 8-1 after a 6-4, 6-2 win over LeCloerce. Wurtzman was just honored with Big Ten Player of the Week accolades for his performance against top-ranked Vanderbilt and Alabama Feb. 13-14.
Wilson posted Ohio State’s final point with a 6-4 win over Virginia Commonwealth’s Daniel Lohiff. Atas, 8-1 in singles play, lost his first duals match while playing for the Buckeye squad. Atas dropped a tight 7-6 first set and a 6-2 second set to undefeated singles player Nieto.
Next up, Ohio State travels to face No. 57 Virginia Tech at noon Sunday, Feb. 22 in Blacksburg, Va.
No. 12 Virginia Commonwealth – 5, No. 16 Ohio State – 2
1) No. 1 Jeremy Wurtzman (OSU) def. Arnaud LeCloerec (VCU), 6-4, 6-2
2) Pedro Nieto (VCU) def. Joey Atas (OSU), 7-6, 6-2
3) Sergi Arumi (VCU) def. Chris Klingemann (OSU), 6-3, 6-0
4) Florian Marquardt (VCU) def. Devin Mullings (OSU), 6-4, 6-4
5) Francesc Lleal (VCU) def. Dennis Mertens (OSU), 6-4, 6-2
6) Ross Wilson (OSU) def. Daniel Lohiff (VCU), 6-4
1) Marquardt/LeClouerec (VCU) def. No. 38 Wilson/Scott Green (OSU), 8-4
2) Nieto/Marton Ott (VCU) def. No. 21 Wurtzman/Atas (OSU), 8-6
3) Lleal/Arumi (VCU) vs. Mertens/Brenton Contini (OSU), DNF