Feb. 9, 2018
Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
Ohio State will take on No. 22 South Florida this Sunday in a top-20 showdown in Tampa. The game will start at 2 p.m. and be televised on ESPN2.
NOTING OHIO STATE
- Ohio State will head to Tampa this Sunday for a rare non-conference February tilt with No. 22 South Florida.
- This will be just the second meeting all-time between Ohio State and USF. The previous meeting came in 1982 when the Buckeyes won 101-74 at the Lady Brahman Christmas Invitational in Tampa.
- This is the latest into any season the Buckeyes have faced a non-conference foe since Big Ten play started prior to the 1982-83 season.
- Since losing three-straight, the Buckeyes have reeled-off four-straight wins.
- In that four-game win streak, Ohio State has held its opponents to less than 70 points, the first four-game stretch of that kind vs. conference foes under Kevin McGuff.
- McGuff has won at least 20 games in 14 of his 16 seasons as head coach.
- The Buckeyes weren’t in the latest NCAA Top-16 reveal but are ranked No. 13 in the AP poll, are fifth in the RPI and have played the nation’s fifth-toughest schedule.
- Kelsey Mitchell is the Big Ten’s all-time leading scorer, either male or female, with 3,169 career points and is currently fourth in NCAA history.
- Mitchell has made a three-pointer in an NCAA record 82-straight games.
- Mitchell is one of just four players with over 3,000 career points and 500 career assists.
- Stephanie Mavunga recently scored her 1,500th career point and is just 17 blocks shy of 300.
- Mavunga has 13 double-doubles on the year and Linnae Harper has 10. They are the only major conference duo with 10 or more double-doubles this season.
- Harper is one of only two players in the country to average 15 points, 8.5 rebounds, two assists and two steals per game.
- Mitchell, Mavunga and Harper are the highest scoring trio in the country at 55.7 ppg.
- The Buckeye starting five accounts for 88.3 percent of the team’s scoring and combine to average 76.2 ppg which is tops in the country.
Non-conference game late in the year
- The matchup with USF on Feb. 11 is the latest into a season Ohio State has faced a non-conference foe since starting Big Ten play in 1982-83.
- The Buckeyes have only faced two other non-conference foes in the month of February since 1982-83 — at Duquesne (2/6/96) and Wright State (2/7/06). OSU won both of those contests.
Four under 70
- The Buckeye defense has held each of its last four opponents to under 70 points — Michigan State 62, Penn State 64, Wisconsin 55 and Rutgers 68.
- That is the first stretch of four-straight games of under 70 points this season as well as the first four-game stretch against Big Ten opponents since Kevin McGuff took over in 2013-14.
- The longest run of holding opponents under 70 points under McGuff was a six-game stretch against non-conference foes in December of 2013.
Mcguff Wins 20 again
- This is Kevin McGuff’s 16th season as a head coach and he has now recorded 20 wins in 14 of those seasons.
- He has failed to reach 20 wins just twice in his career, going 17-13 in his second year at Xavier and going 17-18 in his first season at Ohio State.
- McGuff has led the Buckeyes to 24, 26 and 28 wins over the last three seasons and if the trend continues, 30 wins would put the Buckeyes in at least the NCAA Sweet 16.
Making and Sharing
- Kelsey Mitchell is one of just 13 players in NCAA history with 3,000 career points. She also joined another exclusive club on Feb. 8.
- Mitchell dished-out her 500th career assist in the win over Rutgers.
- Of the 13 players who have scored 3,000 points, just four of them also have 500 career assists — Maya Moore (3,036 points, 544 assists), Kelsey Plum (3,527 points, 523 assists), Rachel Banham (3,093 points, 522 assists) and Kelsey Mitchell (3,169 points, 502 assists).
- That’s not only an impressive group of players but its also an impressive feat to score 3,000 career points and give out 500 helpers.
- Kelsey Mitchell has made at least one three-pointer in each of the last 82 games.
- That is an NCAA record, passing the old mark of 80 set by Heather Butler of UT Martin from 2011-13.
- The last time Mitchell failed to make a three-pointer in a game was came against Michigan State on Dec. 31, 2015 when she was 0-for-10 from beyond the arc.