March 2, 2018
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 11-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team lost at Baylor, 4-1, Friday in Waco, Texas. The Buckeyes (5-2) won the doubles point, but the No. 47-ranked Bears (5-6) won four singles matches for the team win.
Quoting Buckeye head coach Melissa Schaub
“Baylor is a tough team. They were better than us. We have been playing well and I think are doing some good things. Tonight was a disappointing effort, but hopefully we can respond well.”
For the seventh time in seven matches this season, the Buckeyes won the doubles point. The tandem of freshman Emma DeCoste and redshirt sophomore Danielle Wolf was the first off the court, defeating Dominika Sujova and Angie Shakhraichuk, 6-2 with wins (including two breaks) in the last three games on court three. Court two clinched the doubles point, as senior Olivia Sneed and freshman Mary Beth Hurley were 7-5 winners over Theresa Van Zyl and Giorgia Testa, breaking to win their match.
The 15th-ranked team of senior Anna Sanford and redshirt freshman Shiori Fukuda was in a tiebreaker, tied at 3-all, against Kris Sorokolet and Jessica Hinojosa when play was called. It was the first unfinished match for the Buckeye tandem this spring.
Baylor won four matches in straight sets for the team victory. Court three finished first, as Camilla Abbate defeated No. 72-ranked Olivia Sneed, 6-3, 6-3, to tie the match at one. On court one Theresa Van Zyl downed Buckeye Anna Sanford, 6-2, 6-3, to put the Bears ahead. Livia Kraus followed with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Danielle Wolf on court six and on court five Jessica Hinojosa won 6-1, 6-2 over Mary Beth Hurley to clinch the win for Baylor.
Baylor was up a set on courts two and four when play was called.
The Buckeyes close out the weekend with a match vs. No. 18 Texas at 1 p.m. ET Sunday in Austin. The team will then return home to host Nebraska in a Big Ten match at 1 p.m. Wednesday in the Varsity Tennis Center.
Ohio State vs Baylor
Mar 02, 2018 at Waco, Texas
(Hurd Tennis Center)
#47 Baylor WT 4, #11 Ohio State 1
1. Theresa Van Zyl (BU) def. Anna Sanford (OSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Kris Sorokolet (BU) vs. #64 Shiori Fukuda (OSU) 3-6, 4-4, unfinished
3. Camilla Abbate (BU) def. #72 Olivia Sneed (OSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Angie Shakhraichuk (BU) vs. Emma DeCoste (OSU) 7-5, 3-0, unfinished
5. Jessica Hinojosa (BU) def. Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Livia Kraus (BU) def. Danielle Wolf (OSU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Kris Sorokolet/Jessica Hinojosa (BU) vs. #15 Anna Sanford/Shiori Fukuda (OSU) 6-6 (3-3), unfinished
2. Olivia Sneed/Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) def. Theresa Van Zyl/Giorgia Testa (BU) 7-5
3. Emma DeCoste/Danielle Wolf (OSU) def. Dominika Sujova/Angie Shakhraichuk (BU) 6-2
Ohio State 5-2; National ranking #11
Baylor WT 5-6; National ranking #47
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,1,6,5)