Jan. 11, 2017
RELATED INFO: Ohio State Game Notes | Gameweek Video with Coach Rohlik & Mason Jobst | Season Stats | Player Pronunciations | 2016-17 Team Guide | 2016-17 Roster | 2016-17 Schedule | Tickets | Meet the Buckeyes | Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
No. 10 Ohio State vs. Arizona State | Friday, Jan. 13 | 7 p.m. ET
Buckeye Vision | 📻 1460 AM | 📊 Live Stats | Twitter Updates
No. 10 Ohio State vs. Arizona State | Saturday, Jan. 14 | 2 p.m. ET
ESPNU Watch ESPN | 📻1460 AM | 📊 Live Stats | Twitter Updates
Setting the Scene
• The No. 10-ranked Ohio State men’s hockey team (10-4-4, 2-2-0-0 B1G) hosts Arizona State (7-16-1) in a two-game nonconference series this weekend in Value City Arena. The teams will meet at 7 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. Saturday.
• The game Friday will be streamed online through Buckeye Vision on OhioStateBuckeyes.com. The Saturday contest will be televised by ESPNU and available through WatchESPN online and on mobile devices.
• Ohio State radio will carry the contests on 1460 AM and online through Buckeye Vision on OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
• Video and live stats links can be found on the men’s hockey schedule and gameday pages on OhioStateBuckeyes.com, with ingame updates on Twitter @OhioState_MHKY as well.
• Tickets for the games can be purchased through Ticketmaster (go.osu.edu/mhkytmtix16) or at the arena on game night. Parking is free around the arena in designated lots. Ohio State students are free with valid BuckID. Family packs are available for Saturday only and include a ticket discount and concession credit; they must be purchased online with a four-ticket minimum.
Hockey Mask Giveaway, First Responders Night, Postgame Fun
• Friday, the first 500 fans will receive a Buckeye hockey mask on a stick. Youth are invited to ice level postgame to take a shot on the Buckeye goal.
• Saturday is First Responders Night. Pregame, there will be an interactive display of fire, police and emergency vehicles outside the arena. The First Responders Face-Off Game featuring Columbus Fire vs. Columbus Police follows the Ohio State game and all fans are invited to stay and watch.
• There will be a meet and greet with select Buckeyes on the concourse level postgame Saturday.
In the Rankings
• Ohio State was ranked 10th in both the USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls this week, up from No. 11 in both polls last week.
• The squad has been in the Top 20 of the USCHO poll each of the last 13 weeks and has received votes for 14 consecutive weeks.
• In the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll, the Buckeyes have been in the Top 15 each of the last 11 weeks and 12 total weeks this season, while receiving votes in all 14 polls.
Last Time Out
• Ohio State is coming off a series split with Penn State in Columbus. The Buckeyes won game one over the then-No. 2 ranked Nittany Lions, 3-0, before falling 4-2 in game two.
• The Sun Devils played at then-No. 3-ranked Denver last weekend, losing 5-1 and 6-1.
Buckeyes vs. Sun Devils
• The series this weekend is the first between Ohio State and Arizona State on the ice. The Sun Devils are in their second year as a Division I program and are not part of a conference.
Just the Stats
• Ohio State is averaging 4.22 goals a game this season, ranking third in the NCAA, and allowing 2.89 per outing. The squad averages 31.8 shots on goal a game, with its opponents putting 29.0 on net a night. Ohio State leads the nation in shooting percentage, converting 13.3 percent of its shots.
• The Buckeye power play is fourth nationally, converting 24.7 percent (19-for-77), while the penalty kill is 62-for-82 (.756). Ohio State averages 12.2 penalty minutes a game.
• Senior Nick Schilkey leads the team with 15 goals and 23 assists, with freshman Tanner Laczynski first with 16 assists and second with 22 points. Sophomore Mason Jobst is third on the team with 21 points, ranking second with 15 helpers. Senior David Gust is second with 11 goals and ranks fourth with 17 points. Senior Josh Healey is third with 14 helpers.
• In goal, senior Christian Frey, who missed time with an injury, has played in nine games, starting seven, has a 2.90 goals-against average and .908 save percentage. Matt Tomkins has started 11 games, playing in 10, and has a 2.60 goals-against average and .900 save percentage. Logan Davis has two appearances and stopped all six shots he faced.
Laczynski Wins Gold at World Juniors
• Buckeye freshman and leading scorer Tanner Laczynski won a gold medal with Team USA at the World Junior Championship last week in Montreal. He is the second Buckeye skater to win WJC gold (Ryan Kesler, 2004) and the first to win gold while playing for the Buckeyes.
• Team USA was undefeated in the tournament, with shootout wins over Russia in the semifinals and over Canada in the final. Laczynski scored a goal vs. Slovakia and had an assist vs. Russia in pool play. The team’s fourth line center, he did not see action in the semifinals because of illness.
• Laczynski, through his first 15 collegiate games, has a 6-16-22 line, ranking second in the Big Ten in scoring. He is 12th nationally in points per game (1.47), sixth among NCAA skaters in assists per game (1.07) and second in the NCAA in rookie points per game.
• Buckeye junior Janik Moser represented Germany in the World Junior Championship in 2014 and ’15, serving as an alternate captain in his second appearance.
• Five Buckeyes have skated for Team USA at the WJC since 2001 – RJ Umberger and David Steckel both played in 2001 and ’02, Ryan Kesler also was a two-time participant (2003, ’04), Tom Fritsche skated in 2006 and Joseph Palmer was on the team in 2008.
The Sun Devils
• Arizona State is 7-16-1 this season and on a four-game winless streak. After three straight wins (at American International, sweep at UMass), the team tied Brown 8-8 before falling to St. Cloud State and twice to Denver.
• The team is averaging 2.62 goals a game and allowing 4.5 a contest. The power play is 15-for-108 (.139) and the penalty kill is 96-for-128 (.750). The Sun Devils average 17.7 penalty minutes a game. They put 24.1 shots on goal a night and allow 35.9 an outing.
• Robbie Baillargeon is first on the team with nine goals and 18 points. Anthony Croston is first with 10 assists, with four Sun Devils posting nine helpers. Three players are tied for second with six goals each.
• In goal, Joey Daccord is 2-7-0, with a 4.74 goals-against average and .863 save percentage. Ryland Pashovitz is 2-5-0, posting a 4.34 gaa and .886 sv% and Robert Levin has a 3-4-1 ledger, 4.03 goals-against average and .884 save percentage.
Complete notes in the PDF above