COLUMBUS, Ohio The No. 5 Ohio State men’s tennis team defeated Cleveland State, 7-0, Tuesday at The Ohio State University Varsity Indoor Tennis Center. The win marks 81-consecutive home victories for the Buckeyes, dating back to 2003. The shutout against the Vikings is the Scarlet and Gray’s seventh-straight.
The Buckeyes (15-1; 2-0 Big Ten) are now 4-0 all-time against Cleveland State as they improve to 8-0 at home for the 2008-09 campaign.
In doubles, Mike O’Connell and Balazs Novak, paired for just the second time at No. 3 doubles, defeated Rob Fox and Steven Wipprecht, 8-2, for the first doubles victory of the match. Matt Allare and Justin Kronauge gave Phil Orno and Ryan Hamning their first loss in doubles this season with an 8-5 victory at No. 1 to claim the doubles point for the Scarlet and Gray. The Buckeye pair improves to a team-best 10-2 in doubles.
Bryan Koniecko and Shuhei Uzawa improve to 4-0 at No. 2 doubles after defeating Rob West and Yannick Goossens, 8-2.
In singles, the Buckeyes won each match in straight sets. Freshman Steven Williams, a native of Manlius, N.Y., defeated Wipprecht, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 6. On court 2, No. 6 Koniecko won 6-2, 6-3, against West, improving his record to a team-high 24 singles wins (2 losses).
Claiming the victory for Ohio State was Allare with straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, against Goossens at No. 3 singles. Allare is now 17-2 overall in singles this season and improves his win streak to 14-consecutive matches.
At No. 1 singles, No. 20 Kronauge, competing for the second time at the top singles spot this season, defeated Orno 6-3, 6-2. Kronauge is 12-3 in dual action for the 2009 spring season. No. 71 Novak downed Hamning, 7-5, 6-1, at No. 4 singles, and is now 13-1 in dual competition.
Finishing out match play for Ohio State was No. 100 Uzawa at No. 5 singles. The Buckeye sophomore defeated Fox 6-1, 6-4, and ties his season-high in wins with 21 (six losses).
Ohio State now travels to College Station, Texas, for a 6 p.m. matchup against No. 18 Texas A&M Friday. Live updates will be available at AggieAthletics.com.
No. 5 Ohio State 7 vs. Cleveland State 0
The Ohio State University Varsity Indoor Tennis Center
March 10, 2009
1. No. 20 Justin Kronauge (OSU) def. Phil Orno (CSU), 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 6 Bryan Koniecko (OSU) def. Rob West (CSU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Matt Allare (OSU) def. Yannick Goossens (CSU), 6-2, 6-2
4. No. 71 Balazs Novak (OSU) def. Ryan Hamning (CSU), 7-5, 6-1
5. No. 100 Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) def. Rob Fox (CSU), 6-1, 6-4
6. Steven Williams (OSU) def. Steven Wipprecht (CSU), 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish (6, 2, 3, 1, 4, 5)
1. No. 68 Matt Allare/Justin Kronauge (OSU) def. Phil Orno/Ryan Hamning (CSU), 8-5
2. Bryan Koniecko/Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) def. Rob West/Yannick Goossens (CSU), 8-2
3. Balazs Novak/Mike O’Connell (OSU) def. Rob Fox/Steven Wipprecht (CSU), 8-2
Order of Finish (3, 1, 2)