COLUMBUS, Ohio The No. 1 Ohio State men’s tennis team won its first road test of the season against No. 34 Washington, 6-1, Sunday in Seattle, Wash. at the Nordstrom Tennis Center.
The victory against the Huskies is the first win for the Scarlet and Gray against a Pac-10 opponent since defeating Southern California 4-1 last season in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship. Ohio State evened its all-time series record against Washington at 2-2.
Ohio State began its third dual match of the season by winning the doubles point. The Buckeyes have won each doubles point in three dual matches this season. In No. 2 doubles, senior captains Bryan Koniecko and Steven Moneke got the Buckeyes off and running by defeating Washington’s Derek Drabble and Patrik Fischer, 8-6. The Buckeye pair is now 61-8 in dual double matches since 2006-07. Sophomores Balazs Novak and Shuhei Uzawa claimed the doubles point for the Scarlet and Gray in the No. 3 spot with an 8-4 victory against Tobi Obenaus and Alex Rosinski.
In singles, No. 38 Novak claimed the first singles match win of the day in the No. 4 spot, sweeping David Chu 6-0, 6-0. Novak moves to 10-3 in singles play and is the fourth Buckeye to reach double digits in wins this season. In No. 3 singles, sixth-ranked Kronauge gave the Buckeyes an early 3-0 advantage against Washington defeating Martin Kildahl 6-4, 6-0. Kronauge has a 14-3 overall singles record this year, which is the most singles wins for the Buckeyes.
In No. 6 spot, Allare clinched the win for the Buckeyes by defeating Ryo Sekiguchi 6-1, 6-4. Allare is now 5-2 in overall singles play.
The Buckeyes are now 3-0 and will prepare to qualify for the ITA National Men’s Team Indoor Championship Jan. 31 – Feb. 1 in Columbus at The Ohio State University Varsity Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs. Washington
Jan 25, 2009 at Seattle, Wash.
No. 1 Ohio State 6, No. 34 Washington 1
1. No. 1 Bryan Koniecko (OSU) def. Patrik Fischer (UW) 6-1, 7-5
2. No. 3 Steven Moneke (OSU) def. Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-5)
3. No. 6 Justin Kronauge (OSU) def. Martin Kildahl (UW) 6-4, 6-0
4. No. 38 Balazs Novak (OSU) def. David Chu (UW) 6-0, 6-0
5. Derek Drabble (UW) def. No. 77 Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Matt Allare def. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 6, 1, 5, 2
1. Justin Kronauge/Matt Allare (OSU) def. Martin Kildahl/Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Bryan Koniecko/Steven Moneke (OSU) def. Derek Drabble/ Patrik Fischer (UW) 8-6
3. Balazs Novak/Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) def. Tobi Obenaus/Alex Rosinski (UW) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1