Michigan advances to the second round with win over Notre Dame
COLUMBUS, Ohio After morning showers forced competition indoors, the No. 35 Michigan men’s tennis team defeated No. 29 Notre Dame, 4-1, Friday in the first round of the 2009 NCAA Championships at the Ohio State University Varsity Indoor Tennis Center. Andrew Mazlin claimed the win for the Wolverines after defeating Stephen Havens 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 2 singles.
Michigan (14-14; 6-4 Big Ten) will now look to play the winner of the Ohio State-Xavier match at noon Saturday at the Stickney Tennis Center for a chance to move on to the Round of 16 at College Station, Texas, hosted by Texas A&M University.
In doubles, Peter Aarts and Mike Sroczynski defeated David Anderson and Daniel Stahl, 8-3, to give the Wolverines the first match win of the afternoon at No. 3 doubles. Chris Madden and Mazlin followed by claiming the doubles point for Michigan after downing Havens and Casey Watt, 8-4, at No. 2 doubles.
In singles, the Wolverines put the pressure on as Drew Daniel defeated Tyler Davis 7-5, 6-4, at No. 6 singles to make the score 2-0 in Michigan’s favor.
Notre Dame’s No. 31 Brett Helgeson, who was named to the 2009 All-Big East team, won 6-3, 7-6, against No. 93 Jason Jung at No. 1 singles to put the Irish on the board. At No. 4 singles, Madden put the Wolverines one point away from advancing with a 6-3, 1-6, 6-2, victory against Stahl.
Michigan, who received an at-large selection to the 64-team NCAA tournament, has now won eight of its last ten matches.
Tennis Match Final Results
2009 NCAA Championships First and Second Rounds
Hosted by The Ohio State University
The Ohio State University Varsity Indoor Tennis Center
5/8/09 in Columbus, Ohio
No. 29 Notre Dame 1, No. 35 Michigan 4
1. #31 Brett Helgeson (UND) def. #93 Jason Jung (UM) 6-3, 7-6
2. Andrew Mazlin (UM) def. Stephen Havens (UND) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Mike Sroczynski (UM) vs. Casey Watt (UND) 7-6, 5-7, 2-2, unfinished
4. Chris Madden (UM) def. Daniel Stahl (UND) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
5. George Navas (UM) vs. David Anderson (UND) 0-6, 7-5, 3-1, unfinished
6. Drew Daniel (UM) def. Tyler Davis (UND) 7-5, 6-4
1. #53 Jason Jung/George Navas (UM) vs. #30 Brett Helgeson/Tyler Davis (UND) 7-6, unfinished
2. Chris Madden/Andrew Mazlin (UM) def. Stephen Havens/Casey Watt (UND) 8-4
3. Peter Aarts/Mike Sroczynski (UM) def. David Anderson/Daniel Stahl (UND) 8-3
Notre Dame 13-13; National ranking #29
Michigan 14-14; National ranking #35
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,1,4,2)