COLUMBUS, Ohio The two-time defending Big Ten tournament champion Ohio State men’s tennis team took the first step toward retaining its title when it beat No. 55 Iowa, 4-0, Friday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Center in Iowa City. The Buckeyes improve to 30-1 on the season. The 30 wins ties the school record for wins in a season (2006-07).
Ohio State now has won 37-consecutive Big Ten matches and is 88-5 in its last 93 contests, including the postseason. Head coach Ty Tucker improves to 17-5 in the Big Ten Championship.
The Buckeyes began the match by claiming the doubles point. Justin Kronauge and Drew Eberly, ranked No. 19 in the country, paired up at the No. 2 doubles spot and downed Gregory Holm and Patrick Dwyer by a 8-5 score.
The 13th-ranked tandem of Steven Moneke and Bryan Koniecko beat Bart Van Monsjou and J.P. Ritchie at the top doubles spot, 8-4.
At the No. 3 spot Balazs Novak and Mike O’Connell trailed Austen Kauss and Christian Bierich, 7-5.
Novak, a freshman from Nyiregyhaza, Hungary, claimed a 6-1, 6-0 win over Tommy McGeorge at No. 5 singles. Alten-Busick, Germany, native, Moneke faced Ritchie at No. 3 singles. Moneke, ranked 33rd, claimed his match by a 6-3, 6-1 score to put Ohio State up 3-0. Freshman Shuhei Uzawa, of Chiba, Japan, won his match against Reinould Haal 6-3, 6-1at the No. 4 singles spot to give the Buckeyes the team victory.
Koniecko, a native of Long Island, N.Y., led Van Monsjou at the top singles spot by a 6-4, 4-4 margin. Kronauge, who is ranked No. 22, led his match at No. 2 singles. The Buckeye sophomore from Centerville, Ohio, was winning 6-4, 4-3, against Bierich. Eberly split the first two sets with Gregory Holm at No. 6 singles.
Ohio State will face the winner of the Michigan/Penn State match at 11 a.m. ET Saturday in the semifinals. Ohio State has won the tournament in 2001, 2006 and 2007.
No. 2 Ohio State 4, No. 55 Iowa 0
April 25, 2008
2008 Big Ten Tournament
Iowa City, Iowa
Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Center
1. No. 17 Bryan Koniecko (OSU) led Bart Van Monsjou (IOWA) 6-4, 4-4 unfinished
2. No. 22 Justin Kronauge (OSU) led Christian Bierich (IOWA) 6-4, 4-3 unfinished
3. No. 33 Steven Moneke (OSU) def. J.P. Ritchie (IOWA) 6-3, 6-1
4. Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) def. Reinoud Haal (IOWA) 6-3, 6-1
5. Balazs Novak (OSU) def. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA) 6-1, 6-0
6. Drew Eberly (OSU) vs Gregory Holm (IOWA) 4-6, 6-1 unfinished
1. No. 19 Steven Moneke/Bryan Koniecko (OSU) def. Bart Van Monsjou/J.P. Ritchie (IOWA) 8-4
2. No. 13 Drew Eberly/Justin Kronauge (OSU) def. Gregory Holm/Patrick Dwyer (IOWA) 8-5
3. Austen Kauss/Christian Bierich (IOWA) led Shuhei Uzawa/Mike O’Connell (OSU) 7-5 unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,3,4)