Ohio State (19-12, 10-8 Big Ten) 63, No. 18 Michigan State (24-7, 12-6 Big Ten) 54
March 9, 2008
Value City Arena
- The attendance at the Ohio State vs. Michigan State game in Value City Arena Sunday was 19,049, marking the ninth sellout crowd and seventh-consecutive for Ohio State this season. The Buckeyes are 6-3 in sellouts this year and 45-10 all-time in VCA sellouts.
- Ohio State honored its seniors before the game Sunday Jamar Butler, Othello Hunter and Matt Terwilliger. During their tenure at Ohio State the Buckeyes senior class is 100-33 overall, with two outright Big Ten titles, a Big Ten tournament title and were NCAA tournament runners-up in 2007. With 100 wins this Ohio State senior class is the winningest class all-time. The Buckeyes also honored senior mangers Anthony Calo, Levi Robinson, Kevin Rohrbacher and Matt Ullmer.
- In his career with Ohio State, head coach Thad Matta is 4-0 in his final regular season home games. In 2005 the Buckeyes defeated previously undefeated No. 1 Illinois, in 2006 the Scarlet and Gray knocked off Purdue to claim the outright Big Ten title and in 2007 Ohio State defeated No.1 (AP) Wisconsin to claim back-to-back outright Big Ten titles.
- With the victory, Matta increased his win total at Ohio State to 100. Matta is fifth of the 13 previous OSU head coaches who have totaled 100 or more wins while leading the Buckeyes.
- Butler tied the record for games played by a Buckeye by playing in his 133rd game in the Scarlet and Gray. Butler led the team in scoring with 20 points while going 8-of-8 from the line. Butler has made his last 19 free throw attempts on the season. In his career against Michigan State Butler is 26-of-26 from the free throw line.
- The Buckeyes drew the game close in the second half with 12-5 run starting at 11:06 to 7:27. During the run Ohio State forced three Spartan turnovers.
- The Buckeyes had four players in double figures led by Butler (20). Hunter (13), sophomore David Lighty (12) and freshman Kosta Koufos (11) also scored in double figures. Lighty earned his 11 points going a perfect 5-of-5 from the field.
- After allowing the Spartan senior Drew Neitzel to connect on two 3-point buckets in the first 1:23 of the game, the Buckeyes held him scoreless the rest of the way.
- With the win Ohio State is now 31-1 when Terwilliger scores at least four points. The win also avenges his only loss when he scores four points or more earlier this season at Michigan State. The game Sunday was also the first start of Terwilliger’s career.
- Ohio State has won nine of its last 13 games against ranked Michigan State teams. The Buckeyes also are 4-2 against ranked Spartan squads under Matta.
- The Buckeyes forced Michigan State into a season high 21 turnovers. The Buckeyes turned those 21 give a ways into 28 points.
- After a hot 3-point shooting first half (5-of-7, 71.4 percent) by the Spartan’s, Ohio State clamped down in the second half not allowing a 3-point basket (0-of-5).
- After shooting 44.0 percent (11-of-25) in the first half, Ohio State was 12-of-21 (57.1 percent) the rest of the way, including going 14-of-18 (77.8 percent) from the foul line.
- Ohio State will play at 2:30 Friday against Michigan State in the Big Ten tournament. The Buckeyes will be the five seed and Michigan State will be four seed.