Nov. 22, 2016
Ohio State Buckeyes (4-0) vs. Jackson State Tigers (1-3)
|Date:||Nov. 23, 2016|
|Site:||Value City Arena (19,049)|
|Game Time:||7:02 p.m.|
|Talent:|| Bob Holtzman (Play-By-Play)
Mark Adams (Expert Analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (60 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 132/XM 382|
|Local Radio:||WBNS-FM 97.1, AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:|| Paul Keels (Play-By-Play)
Ron Stokes (Expert Analysis)
• Senior Marc Loving needs just 25 points to become the 53rd Buckeye all-time to reach 1,000 career points. Loving scored six points vs. Western Carolina.
• Ohio State has won at least 10 Big Ten regular season games (11-7 in 2016) over the last 11 seasons, the longest streak in school history and the longest streak among Big Ten schools over Thad Matta’s 12-year tenure with the Buckeyes. Wisconsin (12-6 in conference play last year) has a streak of 10-consecutive seasons with 10+ victories in regular season league play.
• Thad Matta is No. 13 all-time in career Big Ten regular-season victories … Matta owns 143 career league triumphs. He is tied with Harold “Bud” Foster (WIS 1935-59) who also won 143 league encounters. The No. 12 spot is held by former Ohio State coach Harold Olsen (1923-46). He won 154 league games over his tenure.
• Keita Bates-Diop needs a pair of buckets to reach 200 made field goals for his career (198-431)…he also is two rebounds shy of 300 for his Ohio State tenure. Marc Loving reached 300 made FGs as a Buckeye (300-717) vs. Western Carolina. JaQuan Lyle went over 100 made FTs vs. Western Carolina going 5-for-6 at the stripe. For his career he is (104-147). Jae’Sean Tate needs five points to reach 700 as a Buckeye (695/10.4 ppg. in 67 games played).
• Matta teams are 301-14 during his tenure at Ohio State when the Buckeyes own a lead with 5:00 to play in games. Ohio State also is 284-17 in 301 games in which Ohio State has built a lead of at least 10 points at any point during a game.
Buckeyes Resume Play in
Global Sports Invitational
The game vs. Jackson State is the third of four Ohio State hosts in the 2016 Global Sports Invitational. The Buckeyes defeated North Carolina Central (69-63, Nov. 14) and Western Carolina (66-38, Nov. 21) in the first two games of the event for Ohio State. The event concludes for the Buckeyes with home games vs. Jackson State (Wednesday, 7 p.m./ESPN3) and Marshall (Friday, 7 p.m./BTN).
Rookie Starters in Matta Era
Thad Matta has started seven freshmen in their first game at Ohio State during his tenure (2005-present). Four of those rookies did so from 2005-06 to 2006-07. Rookie Micah Potter, a freshman center from Mentor, Ohio, started his first game as a Buckeye at Navy Nov. 14. The two most recent freshman starters were Jared Sullinger at center in 2010-11 and rookie guard D’Angelo Russell in 2014-15. David Lighty and Mike Conley Jr. were the first freshmen starters in the Matta era in 2006. Jon Diebler and Kosta Koufos got the starting nod in 2007-08.
Ohio State, Jackson State Series
Ohio State is 1-0 all-time vs. Jackson State. The No. 3 ranked Buckeyes claimed an 85-41 win Nov. 18, 2011 in Columbus. Jared Sullinger posted a double-double with 20 points and 11 boards while Deshaun Thomas, William Buford and Jordan Sibert each contributed 11 points in the win. Aaron Craft was credited with five steals and Shannon Scott handed out a game high six assists. Eleven Buckeyes scored and 12 recorded at least a rebound in the win.
Ohio State vs. the
Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC)
All-time, Ohio State is 14-1 vs. teams that currently make up the Southwestern Athletic Conference. The last time Ohio State faced a SWAC team was Nov. 17, 2015, an 82-55 win vs. Grambling in Columbus.
Alabama State 1-0
Alcorn State………………………. 1-0
Jackson State……………………. 1-0
Mississippi Valley State………. 1-0
Prairie View A&M
A Look at Jackson State
Jackson State enters the game at Ohio State with a 1-3 record. The Tigers opened the season with a 66-54 win over Xavier (La.) at home. Jackson State then went on the road for the last three games, all losses (at Southeastern La. (84-71), at N.C. Central (84-75) and at Marshall, 71-61). Sophomore guard Edric Daniels leads the team with 16.8 points per game. Senior guard Yettra Specks (14.0 ppg.) and junior guard Paris Collins (13.0 ppg.) also contribute double figures offensively. Senior forward Janarius Middleton is the top rebounder for the Tigers with 8.3 boards a game.
Noting the Western Carolina Game
• The game was the second meeting between the Buckeyes and the Catamounts. The Buckeyes are 2-0 against WCU all-time.
• The last matchup for Ohio State against WCU was an 85-60 home court win in St. John Arena on Dec. 12, 2010.
• Ohio State is 14-1 against teams which belong to the Southern Conference.
• The Buckeyes last game against a Southern Conference foe was the 64-44 victory over Mercer Dec. 22, 2015.
• The Buckeyes start the season 4-0 for the first time since 2014-2015.
• The Buckeyes held the Catamounts to 25 percent shooting on the night. The Buckeyes are now 78-2 in contests in which they allow their opponents to 35 percent or less from the floor in the Thad Matta era.
• The 66-38 win marks the largest margin of victory since the 100-55 win on Dec. 27, 2014 against Wright State.
• Ohio State outscored Western Carolina 36-10 in the paint.
• The Buckeyes were credited with 11 steals vs. WCU, the last time OSU had 10 or more was vs. Rutgers (1/13/16)
• The Catamounts tallied 18 points in the first half and 20 in the second. The last OSU opponent with 20 or fewer pts. in a half was Penn State (2nd) Jan. 26, 2016.
• The Buckeyes held WCU to 14 total field goals, the last opponent with 15 or fewer buckets in a game was Northern Illinois (15-56) Dec. 17, 2015.
• Western Carolina connected on 27.5 pct. from the field (14-51), the last OSU opponent to make less than 30 pct. from the field was Nebraska in Lincoln (.271/19-70) Feb. 20, 2016.
• In the Matta era:
Ohio State is 70-1 when grabbing 43 or more rebounds (44 vs. WCU)
Ohio State is 68-11 when credited with 10 or more steals (11 vs. WCU)
Ohio State is 76-2 when holding foes under 35 pct. shooting (WCU shot 27.5 pct)
Ohio State is 105-11 when opponents make fewer than 10 foul shots
Ohio State is 144-17 when opponents record 10 or few assists (WCU credited with 5)
Ohio State is 50-1 when opponents turn the ball over 20 or more times (WCU 20)
• Thad Matta is 324-108 (.750) during his career at Ohio State and 426-139 (.754) overall as a head coach.
• Matta now is 182-7 (.962) in Columbus vs. unranked opponents, with only four losses to non-conference opponents in his 13 seasons.
• Matta-coached teams are 284-17 when leading by 10 or more points at any point in a game.
• When leading with five minutes to go Thad Matta coached teams are now 301-14 and 4-0 this season.
• Matta is 264-29 (.910) all-time when his team leads at half and 4-0 on the season.
• With Matta at the helm, Ohio State is 60-9 (.869) in the month of November.
• The Buckeyes are 269-42 (.865) against unranked opponents under Matta.
• Ohio State is now 205-27 when outrebounding opponents under Matta and 3-0 on the season (44-33).
• JaQuan Lyle paced the Buckeyes in the scoring column, posting 17 points while also dishing out a team-high five assists and grabbing four rebounds.
• Lyle recorded his second double-digit scoring game of the season after putting up 20 games of 10 or more points in the 2015-16 season.
• This was Trevor Thompson’s second-consecutive double-digit scoring performance and third of the season.
• Jae’Sean Tate has seven career double-doubles.
• Tate has put up 10+ points in all four games to open the season.
• Tate also led the team in steals with three.
• Marc Loving is now 25 points away from the 1,000 point Mark for his career at Ohio State.
• Kam Williams put up 13 points, marking his second double digit game of the season.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.