April 27, 2002
COLUMBUS, Ohio-The University of Illinois, the No. 1 seed in the 2002 Big Ten Men’s Tennis Tournament, defeated No. 5 Purdue in semifinal play at the Stickney Tennis Center Saturday.
The Illini earned the doubles point with victories at the Nos. 1 and 3 positions. Illinois’ Amer Delic and Michael Calkins topped Purdue’s Scott Mayer and Dan Swan, 9-7. UI’s Mike Kosta and Nathan Zeder downed PU’s Derek Miller and Seth McKinley, 8-5.
Illinois kept up the momentum in singles action. UI’s Brian Wilson crushed PU’s Derek Miller, 6-0, 6-2, at the No. 2 spot. UI’s Phil Stolt defeated Carl McCafferty, 6-4, 6-1, at the No. 3 position. Calkins scored the game winning point for the Illini defeating Laith Al-Agba, 6-1, 7-6(4), at the No. 5 position.
Illinois advances to play Ohio State (No. 2 seed) or Minnesota (No. 3 seed) in the championship match at noon Sunday at Stickney Tennis Center, weather permitting. Illinois will play at noon at Jesse Owens West Recreation Center if the match is forced indoors.
(1) Illinois 4 (22-4, 12-0) (5) Purdue 0 (12-11, 7-5)
(1) Amer Delic (UI) vs. Scott Mayer (PU) Abandoned
(2) Brian Wilson (UI) def. Derek Miller (PU) 6-0, 6-2
(3) Phil Stolt (UI) def. Carl McCafferty (PU) 6-4, 6-1
(4) Mike Kosta (UI) vs. Andrew Wakefield (PU) Abandoned
(5) Michael Calkins (UI) def. Laith Al-Agba (PU) 6-1, 7-6(4)
(6) Chris Martin (UI) vs. Troy Havens (PU) Abandoned
(1) Delic/Calkins (UI) def. Mayer/Dan Swan (PU) 9-7
(2) Stolt/Wilson (UI) vs. Al-Agba/McCafferty (PU) Abandoned
(3) Kosta/Nathan Zeder (UI) def.. Miller/Seth McKinley (PU) 8-5
** Individual records entering Big Ten Tournament.