Jan. 29, 2018
No. 17 Ohio State Buckeyes (18-5, 9-1) vs. Indiana Hoosiers (12-10, 5-5)
|Date:||Jan. 30, 2018|
|Site:||Value City Arena (18,809)|
|Game Time:||7:01 p.m. ET|
|Talent:|| Dave Flemming (Play-By-Play)
Dan Dakich (Expert Analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (63 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 84/XM 84|
|Local Radio:||WBNS-FM 97.1 The Fan, AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:|| Paul Keels (Play-By-Play)
Ron Stokes (Expert Analysis)
Starting Five, Plus One
• The family of junior Keita Bates-Diop is working to give back after Kai, Keita’s younger brother, suffered cardiac arrest and was revived by athletic trainers last year at a high school practice. The family is working to raise funds for organizations to purchase automated external defibrillators (AED), a device used by University High School (Bloomington, Ill.) athletic trainers Maddie Biehl and Emily Martz, to revive Kai last February. Read more at http://www.go.osu.edu/KBDFamily.
• Keita Bates-Diop was one of 14 players nationally selected to the U.S. Basketball Writers Association Oscar Robertson Trophy Midseason Watch List Jan. 22. The award is given to the USBWA’s college basketball player of the year.
• Chris Holtmann is the first Big Ten coach to record a 9-0 record in conference play during his first season since Sam Barry went 11-0 to start the 1923 campaign at Iowa 95 years ago. Holtmann is the third coach in conference history to start his career in league play at 9-0 or better.
Coaches to Start Career 5-0 in Big Ten
Walter Meanwell, Wisconsin, 12-0 in 1912
Sam Barry, Iowa, 11-0 in 1923
Chris Holtmann, Ohio State, 9-0 in 2018
Tom Davis, Iowa, 6-0 in 1987
Bucky O’Connor, Iowa, 5-0 in 1952
O.B. “Ozzie” Cowles, Minnesota, 5-0 in 1949
• Both Jae’Sean Tate and Keita Bates-Diop, along with fifth-year transfer Andrew Dakich, are college graduates. Tate (sport industry) and Bates-Diop (economics) earned Ohio State degrees after three and a half years when they went through graduation ceremonies Dec. 17 in Columbus. Dakich (history) is a graduate of Michigan playing his final year of eligibility at Ohio State as a graduate transfer. Both Dakich and Tate are working on graduate degrees in coaching. Bates-Diop is now working on a minor in psychology. As a team, the Buckeyes posted a team GPA of 3.1 last semester with 10 student-athletes earning a 3.0 and five earning a 3.5 GPA.
• By the Numbers: Keita Bates-Diop reached 1,000 points for his career with a 17-point effort vs. Minnesota Jan. 20 at Madison Square Garden (1,058)…he is the 55th player in Ohio State history to reach 1,000 points for his career…he reached 500 (522) career rebounds with eight at Northwestern Jan. 17…after scoring 17 points to reach 1,000 for his career against Minnesota, Bates-Diop is the 28th player in Ohio State history to record 1,000 points and 500 rebounds…with four assists, Bates-Diop will reach 100 for his career…he also is 42 points shy of scoring 500 this season…Thirty two former Buckeyes have scored 500 or more points in a season at least once for a total of 49 campaigns with a player scoring 500 or more in a season…Bates-Diop is 48th on the all-time Ohio State scoring list after a 25-point effort against Penn State.
46. Scoonie Penn 1,076
47. Carter Scott 1,073
48. Keita Bates-Diop 1,058
49. Jamie Skelton 1,055
Ken Johnson 1,055
C.J. Jackson reached 400 points for his career with 14 vs. No. 1 Michigan State Jan. 7 (479)…Jackson played his 50th career game for the Buckeyes vs. the Terrapins Jan 11…Jackson has made at least one 3-pointer in each of his last 19 games…Jackson has 18 games this season with 10 or more points, including 17 in the last 20 games…he has 43 assists and 16 turnovers in the last nine games. Jae’Sean Tate scored 18 points at Iowa to reach 1,300 career points…he added 17 points vs. Penn State the last time out (1,388)…he is averaging 12.8 points a game this season and 11.8 ppg. for his career…Tate ranks No. 25 all-time in career scoring (1,388). Larry Bolden is 24th with 1,388 career points.
24. Larry Bolden 1,408
25. Jae’Sean Tate 1,388
26. Brian Brown 1,384
In addition to his abilities on offense, Tate is close to joining the 700 club in career rebounding at Ohio State…he has 696 over 118 games for an average of 5.9 a game…he will become the 14th Buckeye all-time to reach 700 career boards … the game against the Hoosiers will be his 100th career start in an Ohio State uniform. Ohio State played in its 300th game this decade (2010-18) vs. The Citadel and is 228-82 after the loss to Penn State. The Buckeyes have put together the winningest decade in Ohio State history.
• Tate is one of just seven players in the NCAA this season to make every field goal attempt in a game in which they took double-digit shots after connecting on all 10 field goal attempts vs. Northeastern…Tate is third nationally in field goal percentage (.551) among players 6-4 or shorter…Bates-Diop is tied for sixth nationally among players 6-7 or shorter with 39 blocked shots…among players with at least 35 blocks, Bates-Diop has the second-highest PAR (points+assists+rebounds) nationally at 29.8.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.