Feb. 1, 2016
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) Ameryst Alston scored 24 points, Kelsey Mitchell had 22 and No. 7 Ohio State beat Illinois 80-70 on Monday night for its fifth straight victory.
The Buckeyes (17-4, 9-1 Big Ten) shot 44 percent from the field and struggled to pull away from the Illini (8-13, 1-9) until Mitchell’s seven fourth-quarter points silenced Illinois.
Illinois center Chatrice White had 26 points and 10 rebounds. Sophomore guard Brooke Kissinger scored a career-high 15 on five 3-pointers.
Ohio State built a 49-41 lead at halftime behind an 11-0 run late in the second quarter. But the Illini stormed back, holding the Buckeyes’ high-scoring offense to 10 points in the third period. Illinois regained the lead at 52-51 on a 3-pointer by redshirt senior Kyley Simmons.
Ohio State hosts Wisconsin on Thursday.
Illinois hosts Northwestern on Thursday.
Ohio State Individual Notes
- Kelsey Mitchell scored 22 points and passes the 1,400 career point mark.
- This was Mitchell’s 19th game of 20 or more points this season.
- Cait Craft went 3-of-6 from three-point range for nine points. She has made six threes in the last two games.
- Craft recorded her 700th in her career point in the game.
- Alexa Hart recorded her second-straight double-double and sixth of the year with 18 points and 14 rebounds.
- Hart swatted a career-high tying eight shots.
- Hart was 7-of-11 from the floor and is shooting 69.3 percent (61-of-88) in B1G play which is tops in the conference.
- Ameryst Alston scored a game-high 24 points and dished-out four assists. It was her 11th 20+ point game of the season and the 43rd of her career.
- Alston was 12-of-12 from the FT line which was the best free throw percentage of her career with 10 or more attempts.
Ohio State Team Notes
- Ohio State recorded a season-high 11 blocks
- The team has made a three-pointer in 98-straight games.
- There were 14 lead changes in the game which was a season-high