Scott Nelson, a native of Calousa, Calif., joined the Ohio State athletics staff in March 2010. As the new Director of Development, Scott is responsible for all major gifts for athletic priorities, including endowments and capital projects. Previous to his position at Ohio State, Scott was the Assistant Director for the Wooden Athletic Fund at UCLA. Scott also was responsible for 22 of UCLA’s Olympic sport support groups as well as overseeing the Bruins annual giving program. Scott was recently married this past August to his fiancé Lindsey.
Where did you attend college?
- I attended the University of California in Santa Barbara for my undergrad degree and the University of Washington for my master’s degree.
What areas did you study while in school?
- For my undergrad degree, I was a Political Science major. I chose that major because I thought it was relevant to what was going on in the world. I also had a minor in Sports Management and I got my master’s in education with a concentration in intercollegiate athletic leadership. I knew I wanted to work in college athletics.
What brought you to Ohio State?
- This job position brought me here and the opportunity to work with the biggest and the best. The university also has great academics and athletics.
What would you say is the most interesting part of your job?
- The most interesting part of my job is the people and the relationships and being able to reconnect people back to the university.
Did you play any sports in high school or college?
- In high school, I played football, basketball and golf. While at UC Santa Barbara, I was the manager for the basketball team.
Since you just moved to Columbus in March, how do you like it so far?
- I love it here … I’m pleasantly surprised.
What is the biggest difference between Ohio and California?
- The summer humidity here! There’s no humidity in California. The traffic here is nothing compared to the traffic in California.
What do you enjoy doing in you spare time?
- I just recently got married in August, so I enjoy spending time with my family and friends. I also enjoy golfing, running barbequing and just being outdoors.