Jan. 13, 2005
COLUMBUS – President Karen A. Holbrook today announced the appointment of 15 members of the University community to the committee that will conduct the search to replace Athletics Director Andy Geiger, whose retirement is effective June 30.
“With broad representation from faculty, staff and students, as well as our Board of Trustees, the committee’s makeup reflects our recognition that athletics is an integral part of the University,” said Holbrook.
She said she plans to charge the committee with conducting a search that is thorough yet expeditious. A first meeting has not yet been set.
“The mission of this committee is to advise the President with respect to the qualities and qualifications of an Athletics Director who will best serve this University, and to identify finalists for the position,” said Joe Alutto, dean of the Fisher College of Business and chair of the committee. He said the fact that members have different levels of experience with athletics will be helpful in ensuring that different perspectives are considered.
“The successful candidate will have an extremely wide and deep range of skills and experience, and our committee is reflective of that,” Alutto said.
The members of the search committee are:
– Tami Longaberger, chair of the Board of Trustees
– John Bruno, athletic faculty representative and professor of neuroscience and psychology
– Beverly Moss, academic liaison with athletics and professor of English
– Christian Zacher, a member of the Athletic Council, professor of English and director of the Institute for Collaborative Research and Public Humanities
– Deb Mason, Athletic Council member and vice president of Undergraduate Student Government
– Brian Joseph, faculty member at-large and Distinguished University Professor, departments of linguistics and Slavic and East European languages and literatures
– Joe Breschi, men’s lacrosse head coach
– Lori Walker, women’s soccer head coach
– Susan Henderson, associate director of athletics
– Archie Griffin, president/CEO of the Ohio State Alumni Association
– Janine Oman, an athletic trainer and a clinical instructor in the College of Medicine and Public Health
– Brandon Mitchell, a student-athlete on the football team
– Jackie Schardt, a student-athlete on the women’s volleyball team
– Richard Hollingsworth, associate vice president for student affairs
Ex-officio members of the committee are David Frantz, secretary to the Board of Trustees and professor of English; Chris Culley, University general counsel; and Curt Steiner, senior vice president for external relations.
Also, the search firm of Baker-Parker of Atlanta has been hired to assist with the search. Baker-Parker has been involved with a number of high-profile searches for the NCAA as well as for athletic directors for the University of Washington and Indiana University.
Holbrook has asked Geiger to spend the next several months prior to his retirement working in three key areas:
Helping to move the Student Athlete Support ServicesOrganization further under the aegis of the Office of the Provost;Creating a different reporting relationship for the athleticsCompliance Office to align it more closely with the University’sOffice of Legal Affairs; And creating and executing a morecomprehensive Booster Education program which will begin with thefirst 2005 Football Season mailings in early February.