March 14, 2018
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – In a match that finished almost seven hours after it started, No. 4 Ohio State had enough in the tank to complete a come from behind 4-3 victory at No. 11 USC Tuesday night at Marks Stadium in Los Angeles.
Soon after the match started, rain crept into the LA area and delayed the match for nearly four hours. The Trojans grabbed the upper hand early by winning the doubles point and the raced to a 3-1 lead with a couple of singles victories. But the Buckeyes came back with a dominant win from Mikael Torpegaard and a pair of three-set victories to take the match 4-3.
This was a needed victory for the Buckeyes who were coming off a 4-0 loss at Georgia last week. This was the first of two matches on this west coast spring break trip as the Buckeyes will remain in LA to take on Arizona State at the Griffin Club on Wednesday evening.
Against the Trojans, the Buckeyes shook up the doubles lineup a bit. Mikael Torpegaard joined John McNally on court three and the Buckeye duo took down Tanner Smith and Daniel Cukierman 6-4. Matt Mendez and Hunter Tubert fell by the same score on court two leaving the point up to Martin Joyce and JJ Wolf on court one. Joyce and Wolf were on serve with Riley Smith and Brandon Holt at 5-5 before the Trojan duo won the final two games to take the match and the doubles point 7-5.
Joyce got the Buckeyes started in singles with a 6-2, 6-2 win on court four over Riley Smith. Wolf had a tough evening with Cukierman on court two and would fall 6-0, 6-3.
The Trojans then pushed the score to 3-1 as Alex Kobelt fell 6-3, 6-4 on court six to Jake DeVine. Torpegaard set the tone for the comeback as he dominated No. 12 Brandon Holt in a 7-5, 6-3 victory on court one.
Kyle Seelig and John McNally both won their opening sets but would then fall in the second. Seelig was able to win the third set 6-3 over Jack Jaede to even the score at 3-3 and then gave way to McNally. The Cincinnati freshman was on serve with Laurens Verboven at 4-4 before rallying to win the final two games to clinch the match 6-4.
#4 Ohio State 4, #11 Southern Cal 3
1. #2 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. #12 Brandon Holt (USC) 7-5, 6-3
2. #64 Daniel Cukierman (USC) def. #41 JJ Wolf (OSU) 6-0, 6-3
3. #65 John McNally (OSU) def. Laurens Verboven (USC) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
4. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Riley Smith (USC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Jack Jaede (USC) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
6. Jake DeVine (USC) def. Alex Kobelt (OSU) 6-3, 6-4
1. #26 Brandon Holt/Riley Smith (USC) def. JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) 7-5
2. #52 Jack Jaede/Laurens Verboven (USC) def. Matt Mendez/Hunter Tubert (OSU) 6-4
3. Mikael Torpegaard/John McNally (OSU) def. Daniel Cukierman/Tanner Smith (USC) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,4,6,1,5,3)