COLUMBUS, Ohio – The game between the Ohio State men’s lacrosse team and UMass set for Saturday has been cancelled because weather conditions and flight cancellations on the east coast prevented the Minutemen from traveling to Columbus.
The Buckeyes were able to schedule a game vs. Detroit, which had an open date, for the same time Saturday in Columbus. The Buckeyes (1-1) and Titans (0-1) will meet at noon Saturday inside the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. The game is sold out.
“We exhausted all options this morning trying to get UMass to Columbus, but the weather conditions made it impossible,” Nick Myers, Ohio State head coach, said. “We are grateful to Matt Holtz and the Detroit program for working with us to get a game in.”
Fans that have pre-purchased tickets should note the area around the WHAC will be busy because of a home men’s basketball game with a noon tipoff. Guests should plan to arrive early and follow the instructions of the police officers working traffic duty. Men’s lacrosse guests should park in the same designated public parking lots used for men’s basketball, including the Buckeye Lots, the Fawcett Center Lot, the ABB Lot, the Sisson Lot and the Lane Avenue Garage.
The game between the Buckeyes and Titans will be streamed live on OhioStateBuckeyes.com through the Buckeye Vision subscription service. For more information or to sign up, click on the multimedia link on the site’s homepage. Links to live stats will be available on the men’s lacrosse schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Ohio State and Detroit met last season to open the 2009 campaign. The Buckeyes posted a 21-1 win over the Titans, who were playing their first game as a Division I program.
Noting the Buckeyes
- The Buckeyes are now 1-1, downing Villanova in the season opener (10-8) in Columbus before falling to No. 17 Bucknell, 11-5, on the road last Saturday. Against Bucknell no Buckeye had more than one point.
- Ohio State is 5-0 all-time playing on the field inside the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. The first game came in March 2008 when a blizzard forced the Buckeyes and Penn State indoors and the Buckeyes downed the Nittany Lions, 17-6. Last season the Buckeyes defeated Detroit (21-1), Bucknell (10-9 OT) and Fairfield (11-6) inside the WHAC.
- Freshman Jeff Tundo has a team-high four goals and five points this year. Freshman Logan Schuss and senior James Green are second with three tallies each, with Schuss adding an assist for four points. No Buckeye has more than one assist on the year.
- Freshmen have scored 10 of the Buckeyes’ 15 goals this season.
- Senior goalie Brandon Freeman has 11 saves in both games this year and now has 13 career games with double-digit saves, including each of the least eight games.
- Sophomore Joe Bonanni made his first career start on defense, joining Scott Foreman and Matt Kawamoto, who were making their 35th and 15th consecutive starts, respectively.
- Seniors Scott Foreman, Brandon Freeman and Andrew Stimmel have been elected team captains for the 2010 squad. The captains were selected by a vote of their teammates. The trio was part of a group of players who stepped forward with an interest in leading the team before practice began and auditioned throughout fall camp.
- The 46-man Buckeye lacrosse roster includes eight seniors, 15 juniors, eight sophomores and 15 freshmen.
- The players come from 13 states and provinces, led by nine from New York and eight from Ohio, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Three Buckeyes call British Columbia home, with two from both New Jersey and Virginia. Players also come from Michigan, Colorado, Connecticut, California, Ontario and New Hampshire.