Nov. 20, 2017
Ohio State Buckeyes (4-0) vs. No. 17 Gonzaga Bulldogs (3-0)
|Date:||Nov. 23, 2017|
|Site:||Veterans Memorial Coliseum (12,888)|
|Game Time:||9 p.m. PT/Midnight ET|
|Talent:|| Doug Sherman (Play-By-Play)
Dan Dakich (Expert Analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (63 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 93/ XM 93|
|Local Radio:||WBNS-FM 97.1, AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:|| Matt Andrews (Play-By-Play)
Ron Stokes (Expert Analysis)
Starting Five, Plus One
• The last time Ohio State played in Portland, Oregon, the Buckeyes qualified for the 2015 NCAA Tournament and played VCU and Arizona in the Moda Center. Ohio State defeated VCU in overtime 75-72 March 19, 2015 before falling to No. 5 Arizona 73-58.
• Mike Conley Jr. was elected into the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame in 2017 and was officially recognized during Hall of Fame Weekend on the Ohio State campus the weekend of Oct. 7. Conley is the 39th men’s basketball student-athlete to be elected to the Athletics Hall of Fame. Conley, now in his 11th season with the Memphis Grizzlies, was the No. 4 overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft after leading the Buckeyes to the NCAA National Championship game in 2007.
• Evan Turner, who was Ohio State’s 38th Hall of Fame inductee a season ago, was recognized Sept. 9 during Ohio State’s matchup with Oklahoma on the gridiron for his donation of $500,000 to the men’s basketball program. The donation will be used for graphics and to name the hallway outside the men’s basketball practice facility. Turner was the National Player of the Year in college basketball in 2010 and was the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft that year (Philadelphia).
• Keita Bates-Diop opened the season with three-consecutive double-doubles (10+Pts/10+Rebs) vs. Robert Morris, Radford and Texas Southern. Bates-Diop has nine career D-Ds. The last time an Ohio State player opened the season with three-consecutive D-Ds was Evan Turner in 2009 when he put together a string of five consecutive games. Turner tallied 17 points and 10 assists in the opener that year vs. Alcorn State. He followed that effort with three games with 23 or more points and 11+ rebounds before a 16-point, 11-assist effort vs. Lipscomb.
• Graduate transfer Andrew Dakich knocked down his first 3 of the season vs. Texas Southern. He has one made 3 in each of his four years of eligibility, which includes three seasons at Michigan…Jae’Sean Tate is the only player in the NCAA this season to make every field goal attempt in a game in which they took double-digit shots after connecting on all 10 field goal attemts vs. Northeastern…Tate has the third-highest field goal percentage (.650) among players 6-4 or shorter… Tate is tied for 10th nationally and second among Power 5 conference players 64 or shorter with 7.5 rebounds per game…Ohio State is 13th nationally with a +14.8 rebounding margin…Keita Bates-Diop is tied for fourth nationally with three double-doubles…Tate is 11 rebounds shy of 600 for his career…Tate will be playing in his 100th career game when the Buckeyes take the floor vs. Gonzaga…senior Kam Williams needs three made field goals to reach 300 for his career (297-705/.421).
• Ohio State has scored 80 or more points in all four games this season. The Buckeyes have not reached the 80-point mark in four-consecutive games since 2011 when Ohio State put together a six-game stretch with 80 or more points from Nov. 15 to Nov. 29 in wins vs. No. 7 Florida (81-74), Jackson State (85-41), North Florida (83-50), Virginia Military (107-74), Valparaiso (80-47) and No. 3 Duke (85-63). Ohio State was ranked No. 3 in the first five games of the streak and No. 2 vs. the Blue Devils. All six games were played at Value City Arena. The Buckeyes have not opened the season with 80 or more points in four-consecutive games since 1990 when OSU reached 100+ in the first four games and in six of the first seven. Ohio State scored 90 points in a win vs. Wright State for a stretch of seven games with 90 or more points to start the 1990-91 campaign.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.