May 12, 2017
Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 3 Ohio State dispatched of Butler 4-0 in the opening round of the NCAA Championship on Friday afternoon at the OSU varsity Tennis Courts on campus. The Buckeyes advance to play No. 42 Louisville on Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m. The Cardinals pulled-out a 4-3 victory over No. 28 UCF in the first match of the day.
- The Buckeyes win their 30th match of the season and improve to 30-3 overall
- This is the 10th time in the last 11 years that the Buckeyes have won 30 matches in a season
- The win also improves Ohio State to 23-0 all-time in NCAA Tournament matches in Columbus
- Ohio State defeats Butler for the second time in the NCAA Tournament (also in 2006) and is now a perfect 19-0 against the Bulldogs
- This was the team’s 19th sweep of the season
- Ohio State won the opening set in all six singles matches and would clinch the match with wins on courts 1, 5 and 6.
- Torpegaard claimed his 34th victory of the season with a solid 6-0, 6-1 victory on court one over Aviv Ben Shabat.
- Senior Herkko Pollanen matched his doubles partner with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Temilope Adelakun on court 5. He improves to 26-7 on the season and 8-0 at the No. 5 spot.
- Redshirt-freshman Kyle Seelig provided the clinching point with his 6-1, 6-3 win over Ari Gerstein on court six. He posts his 28th victory over the year in his first season on the court.
- JJ Wolf won the final four games of the first set to take it 7-5 over Mason Dragos and was winning 3-2 in the second.
- Joyce and Di Feo also held leads in the second set after winning the first
#3 Ohio State 4, Butler 0
- #2 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. Aviv Ben Shabat (BUMTEN) 6-0, 6-1
- #46 JJ Wolf (OSU) vs. Mason Dragos (BUMTEN) 7-5, 3-2, unfinished
- #9 Hugo Di Feo (OSU) vs. Mikheil Khmiadashvil (BUMTEN) 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
- Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Spencer Lang (BUMTEN) 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
- Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Temilope Adelakun (BUMTEN) 6-0, 6-1
- Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Ari Gerstein (BUMTEN) 6-1, 6
- #16 Mikael Torpegaard/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) vs. Aviv Ben Shabat/Mikheil Khmiadashvil (BUMTEN) 3-2, unfinished
- #30 Hugo Di Feo/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Mason Dragos/Spencer Lang (BUMTEN) 6-1
- Hunter Tubert/JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Ari Gerstein/Alex Woldmoe (BUMTEN) 6-0
Ohio State 30-3; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,5,6)
NCAA Championship First Round Match