COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 38-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team posted its fourth-consecutive shutout, blanking Missouri, 7-0, Saturday in Columbia, Mo., to wrap up a doubleheader. The Buckeyes began the day with a 6-0 defeat of Memphis.
Ohio State clinched the doubles point to start the match, winning two of three matches. The squad has won 11-of-12 doubles matches on the year. At the No. 2 spot Paloma Escobedo and Christina Keesey beat Kristen Bleakley and Maria Christensen, 8-0, in the first match off the court. The Mizzou tandem of Sofia Ayala and Jamie Mera downed Kirsten Flower and Fidan Manishirova, 8-5, at No. 3, leaving the No. 1 match between Buckeyes Kelsey Haviland and Cami Hubbs and the Tigers’ Mallory Weber and Kaitlyn Ritchie to decide the doubles point. In a tight match the Buckeye duo held off the Tigers in a tiebreaker, 9-8 (4).
The Buckeyes swept singles for the non-conference victory. Flower put the Buckeyes up 2-0 with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Weber at No. 1 and Keesey followed with a 6-1, 7-5 victory against Mera. At No. 2 Escobedo was a 6-2, 6-3 winner against Ritchie and Haviland downed Ayala at No. 4, 6-3, 6-2. Buckeye freshmen Gabby Steele and Manashirova closed out the day with straight-set wins. Steele defeated Lewis, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 5 and Manashirova beat Christensen, 6-3, 6-3, at the No. 6 position.
Ohio State returns to action next weekend in the ITA National Indoors Qualifier in Fresno, Calif. The Buckeyes will take on the host Fresno State Bulldogs Saturday and either Florida State or Virginia Sunday. The regional winner will earn a spot in the ITA National Indoors.
No. 38 Ohio State 7, Missouri 0
Jan. 23, 2010
1. Kelsey Haviland/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Mallory Weber/Kaitlyn Ritchie (MIZ) 9-8 (4)
2. Paloma Escobedo/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Maria Christensen/Kristen Bleakley (MIZ) 0-8
2. Sofia Ayala/Jamie Mera (MIZ) def. Kirsten Flower/Fidan Manashirova (OSU) 8-5
1. Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Mallory Weber (MIZ) 6-0, 6-1
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Kaitlyn Ritchie (MIZ) 6-2, 6-3
3. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Jamie Mera (MIZ) 6-1, 7-5
4. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) def. Sofia Ayala (MIZ) 6-3, 6-2
5. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Andrea Lewis (MIZ) 6-3, 6-4
6. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Maria Christensen (MIZ) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3, 1) ; Singles (1, 3, 2, 4, 5, 6)
New Records: Ohio State (4-0), Missouri (1-1)