COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team was a 6-1 winner at Iowa Sunday afternoon in Iowa City, improving to 8-4 on the season and 2-1 in B1G play. Ohio State won all three doubles matches and posted five singles wins, including two in three sets, for the victory.
“It was good to get out there and compete,” Melissa Schaub, Ohio State head coach, said. “From here on out it’s all Big Ten matches and we need to make sure we are ready to go. I think we had a good week of practice and hopefully some of the girls took some confidence from that into the match today. Our seniors our stepping up really big for us. It was a pretty solid match all in all.”
The Buckeyes swept the doubles matches and have won the doubles point in 10 of 12 matches this year. Court one posted the first win, as No. 29-ranked Anna Sanford and Shiori Fukuda topped No. 47 Elise Van Heuvelen and Anastasia Reimchen, 6-3, pulling away at the end. Courts two and three finished nearly simultaneously with matching 6-4 scores. On court two, Danielle Wolf and Emma DeCoste defeated Zoe Douglas and Adorabol Huckleby, while on court three Oliva Sneed and Andrea Ballinger were winners over Montana Crawford and Danielle Burich.
In singles, freshman Mary Beth Hurley dropped just three games on court six against Adrienne Jensen (6-1, 6-2) for a 2-0 Ohio State lead. Wolf posted the next win, defeating Crawford, 6-2, 6-3, on court five. Sneed clinched the team win with a 7-5, 6-0 victory on court three vs. Reimchen.
On court one, Sanford won the first set 6-4 but dropped the second, 6-1, against Van Heuvelen. The Buckeye controlled the third, winning 6-1, for the victory. Fukuda also prevailed in three sets on court two. She captured the first set 6-1 before being shut out in the second. In the third, the Buckeye was down but came back to force a tiebreaker and claimed the match with a 7-3 tiebreaker victory. The final match sent to a super tiebreaker. After dropping the first set 6-4 against Huckleby, DeCoste won the second in a tiebreaker, sending the match to a super tiebreaker. The Hawkeye won the match tiebreaker for a 6-4, 6-7 (1), 1-0 (6) match victory.
The Buckeyes will host two matches next weekend, taking on Michigan at 4 p.m. Friday and Michigan State at noon Sunday. Both are scheduled to be played outdoors at the Varsity Tennis Courts.
Ohio State vs Iowa
Mar 25, 2018 at Iowa City, Iowa
#27 Ohio State 6, Iowa 1
1. Anna Sanford (OSU) def. Elise van Heuvelen (IOWA) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
2. #86 Shiori Fukuda (OSU) def. Zoe Douglas (IOWA) 6-1, 0-6, 7-6 (7-3)
3. #116 Olivia Sneed (OSU) def. Anastasia Reimchen (IOWA) 7-5, 6-0
4. Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA) def. Emma DeCoste (OSU) 6-4, 7-6 (1-7), 1-0 (10-6)
5. Danielle Wolf (OSU) def. Montana Crawford (IOWA) 6-2, 6-3
6. Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) def. Adrienne Jensen (IOWA) 6-1, 6-2
1. #29 Anna Sanford/Shiori Fukuda (OSU) def. #47 Elise van Heuvelen/Anastasia Reimchen (IOWA) 6-3
2. Danielle Wolf/Emma DeCoste (OSU) def. Zoe Douglas/Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA) 6-4
3. Olivia Sneed/Andrea Ballinger (OSU) def. Montana Crawford/Danielle Burich (IOWA) 6-4
Ohio State 8-4; National ranking #27
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,5,3,1,2,4)