COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 33 Ohio State women’s tennis team improved to 7-1 on the year, downing No. 50 William & Mary (3-3) on the road, 5-2, Friday in Williamsburg, Va.
The Buckeyes won the first two doubles matches off the court to clinch the doubles point and take a 1-0 lead. The tandem of Kelsey Haviland and Cami Hubbs posted an 8-2 win over Ragini Acharya and Lauren Sabacinski at the No. 1 position. At No. 3 the duo of freshmen Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele secured the point with an 8-5 victory over Katie Kargl/Marlen Mesgarzadeh at No. 3. The Buckeye team of Paloma Escobedo and Christina Keesey lost a close match at No. 2, 8-6, to Anik Cepeda and Carmen Pop.
Ohio State was victorious in three of the first four singles matches completed to clinch the victory. Manashirova was first off, downing Cepeda in straight sets at No. 6, 6-3, 6-0, posting her 13th win of the season. Senior Kirsten Flower, ranked No. 53 nationally, won at the top spot against Acharya, 6-2, 6-2. Mesgarzadeh put the Tribe on the board, coming from behind at No. 3 to defeat Keesey, 1-6, 7-6 (11), 6-2.
Escobedo clinched the team victory with a three-set win at No. 2, as she beat Vulovich, 6-1, 2-6, 6-3. At No. 4 Haviland lost her first dual match of the season, losing to Pop, 6-2, 7-6 (5). The final match was won by Steele at No. 5 in a super tiebreaker over Sabacinski. She rallied for the win, 3-6, 7-5, 10-3, to match Manashirova with 13 wins on the year and tie Haviland with a 7-1 mark this spring .
The Buckeyes remain in Virginia for a match against the UVA Cavaliers in Charlottesville Sunday.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs William & Mary
Feb 05, 2010 at Williamsburg, Va.
#33 Ohio State 5, #50 William & Mary 2
1. #53 Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Ragini Acharya (W&M) 6-2, 6-2
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Nina Vulovich (W&M) 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
3. Marlen Mesgarzadeh (W&M) def. Christina Keesey (OSU) 1-6, 7-6 (13-11), 6-2
4. Carmen Pop (W&M) def. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Lauren Sabacinski (W&M) 3-6, 7-5, 10-3
6. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Anik Cepeda (W&M) 6-3, 6-0
1. Kelsey Haviland/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Ragini Acharya/Lauren Sabacinski (W&M) 8-2
2. Anik Cepeda/Carmen Pop (W&M) def. Paloma Escobedo/Christina Keesey (OSU) 8-6
3. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Katie Kargl/Marlen Mesgarzadeh (W&M) 8-5
Ohio State 7-1; National ranking #33
William & Mary 3-3; National ranking #50
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,1,3,2,4,5)