COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 33 Ohio State women’s tennis team shut out the visiting Cincinnati Bearcats, 7-0, in the Buckeyes’ first dual match of the 2011 season, sweeping doubles and taking all six singles matches. The Scarlet and Gray host the Cleveland State Vikings tonight at 7 p.m. at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center in the second half of the “Buckeyes Go Pink” season-opening doubleheader.
The Buckeyes were firing on all cylinders in doubles, taking each match. Paloma Escobedo and Cami Hubbs downed Cincinnati’s top doubles tandem of Jasmine Lee and Ksenia Slynko, 8-1, while Kelsey Haviland and Gabby Steele defeated Caitlin O’Gara and Lindsey Lonergan, 8-1, on court two to clinch the doubles point.
Kara Cecil and Noelle Malley finished off the Bearcats’ Elise Woulfe and Ashleigh Witte, 8-3, on court three to complete the sweep.
Escobedo, the top Buckeye in singles, bested Ksenia Slynko in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1, followed closely by Fidan Manashirova’s 6-1, 6-0 victory against UC’s Saffiya Ismail on court six.
Hubbs clinched the match for Ohio State with a 7-6 (8-6), 6-1 win over Lonergan on court five. Cecil added a fifth point for the Buckeyes after downing Ashleigh Witte, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5), on court three after battling back from a 2-4 deficit in the second set.
Steele kept the shutout alive with a 6-2, 6-2 win against O’Gara on court four and Haviland, ranked No. 125 in the nation, wrapped up the match on a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Lee at the second spot.
The doubleheader is a part of the Buckeyes Go Pink fundraiser. All proceeds from raffles and donations will go toward the Stefanie Spielman Fund.
Following the second match of the doubleheader tonight against Cleveland State, the Buckeyes are back in action Jan. 30-31 in Knoxville, Tenn., for the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. Ohio State will face host Tennessee Jan. 30 before facing either SMU or Mississippi State Jan. 31.
Tennis Match Results
Cincinnati vs Ohio State
Jan 23, 2011 at Columbus, Ohio
(OSU Varsity Tennis Center)
#33 Ohio State 7, Cincinnati 0
1. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Ksenia Slynko (UC) 6-0, 6-1
2. #125 Kelsey Haviland (OSU) def. Jasmine Lee (UC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Kara Cecil (OSU) def. Ashleigh Witte (UC) 6-3, 7-6
4. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Caitlin O’Gara (UC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Lindsey Lonergan (UC) 7-6, 6-1
6. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Saffiya Ismail (UC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Paloma Escobedo/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Jasmine Lee/Ksenia Slynko (UC) 8-1
2. Kelsey Haviland/Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Caitlin O’Gara/Lindsey Lonergan (UC) 8-1
3. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Elise Woulfe/Ashleigh Witte (UC) 8-3
Ohio State 1-0; National ranking #33
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,6,5,4,3,2)