COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team was a 6-1 winner at Indiana Friday afternoon in Bloomington, Ind. No. 35 Ohio State, now 11-6 on the year and 5-3 in Big Ten play, won the doubles point and added posted five singles victories for the conference victory over the Hoosiers (15-9, 2-6 B1G). Anna Sanford, Shiori Fukuda, Olivia Sneed and Mary Beth Hurley all won in singles and doubles for the Buckeyes.
The Buckeyes wrap up the weekend with a match at Purdue at noon Sunday.
Quoting Coach Schaub
“We played a pretty solid match today. It’s nice to have Maria (Tyrina) back out there playing. I thought our doubles was pretty good. We have some things to improve on, but we are getting better. We will get a good practice and get ready for Purdue on Sunday.”
The Buckeyes won the doubles point, taking a 1-0 lead in the mach. The No. 25-ranked tandem of Anna Sanford and Shiori Fukuda posted a 6-1 win on court one over Natalie Whalen and Olga Zavarotnaya and on court two the duo of Mary Beth Hurley and Olivia Sneed notched a 6-2 victory against Madison Appel/Michelle McKamey for the doubles point.
On court three, the Buckeye duo of Maria Tyrina and Danielle Wolf led Caitlin Bernard and Andjelija Bozovic 5-4 when play was called.
The duo of Sanford and Fukuda is now 12-1 this spring. Ohio State has won the doubles point in 14 of 17 matches this season.
Seniors Olivia Sneed and Anna Sanford put the Buckeyes up 3-0 with back-to-back wins. Sneed was the first to wrap up, breaking against Natalie Whalen for a 6-1, 7-5 victory on court three. The Buckeye is 11-5 in dual matches. Shortly after, Sanford improved to 13-3 this spring with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Madison Appel on court one.
On court two, Shiori Fukuda clinched Ohio State’s win as she topped Caitlin Bernard, 7-5, 6-1, moving to 11-3 in dual match play.
Danielle Wolf moved Ohio State’s advantage to 5-0 with a 6-4, 7-5 win against Michelle McKamey on court five. The final two matches went to a super tiebreaker. On court six, Buckeye freshman Mary Beth Hurley topped Zavarotnaya, 6-1, 6-7 (5), 1-0 (7). On court four, Xiwei Cai prevailed in a match tiebreaker over Maria Tyrina, 5-7, 7-4, 1-0 (9). Both Wolf and Hurley have nine dual match victories.
Ohio State vs Indiana
Apr 13, 2018 at Bloomington, Ind.
#35 Ohio State 6, Indiana 1
1. #54 Anna Sanford (OSU) def. Madison Appel (IU) 6-4, 6-3
2. #105 Shiori Fukuda (OSU) def. Caitlin Bernard (IU) 7-5, 6-1
3. #119 Olivia Sneed (OSU) def. Natalie Whalen (IU) 6-1, 7-5
4. Xiwei Cai (IU) def. Maria Tyrina (OSU) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (11-9)
5. Danielle Wolf (OSU) def. Michelle McKamey (IU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) def. Olga Zavarotnaya (IU) 6-1, 6-7 (7-5), 1-0 (10-7)
1. #30 Shiori Fukuda/Anna Sanford (OSU) def. Natalie Whalen/Olga Zavarotnaya (IU) 6-1
2. Mary Beth Hurley/Olivia Sneed (OSU) def. Madison Appel/Michelle McKamey (IU) 6-2
3. Caitlin Bernard/Andjelija Bozovic (IU) vs. Danielle Wolf/Maria Tyrina (OSU) 4-5, unfinished
Ohio State 11-6, 5-3 B1G; National ranking #35
Indiana 15-9, 2-6 B1G
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,1,2,5,6,4)