Dec. 2, 2016
Ohio State Buckeyes (6-1) vs. Fairleigh Dickinson Knights (2-4)
|Date:||Dec. 3, 2016|
|Site:||Value City Arena (19,049)|
|Game Time:||4:35 p.m.|
|Talent:|| Nate Rubinstein (Play-By-Play)
Tim Tully (Expert Analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (60 stations)|
|Local Radio:||WBNS-FM 97.1, AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:|| Paul Keels (Play-By-Play)
Ron Stokes (Expert Analysis)
Starting Five, Plus One
• Senior Marc Loving became the 53rd Buckeye all-time to reach 1,000 career points. Loving scored seven points at No. 6 Virginia the last time out. He is the 12th player in the Thad Matta era to reach 1,000 career points as a Buckeye. His point total of 1,021 is 50th on the all-time Ohio State scoring list. Jason Singleton is 49th with 1,022 career points. Singleton currently works in the Ohio State Athletics Development Office.
• Ohio State has won at least 10 Big Ten regular season games (11-7 in 2016) over the last 11 seasons, the longest streak in school history and the longest streak among Big Ten schools over Thad Matta’s 12-year tenure with the Buckeyes. Wisconsin (12-6 in conference play last year) has a streak of 10-consecutive seasons with 10+ victories in regular season league play.
• Thad Matta is No. 13 all-time in career Big Ten regular-season victories … Matta owns 143 career league triumphs. He is tied with Harold “Bud” Foster (WIS 1935-59) who also won 143 league encounters. The No. 12 spot is held by former Ohio State coach Harold Olsen (1923-46). He won 154 league games over his tenure.
• Keita Bates-Diop needs a pair of buckets to reach 200 made field goals for his career (198-431)…he also is two rebounds shy of 300 for his Ohio State tenure. Marc Loving reached 400 career rebounds with six at Virginia. He averages 5.6 boards this season and 3.7 for his career. Jae’Sean Tate scored his 300th field goal with five makes at Virginia (302-542/.557). He also eclipsed 400 career rebounds with a game-high nine boards vs. the Cavaliers. He averages 7.3 boards this season and 5.8 for his career. Kam Williams needs two made 3s to reach 100 for his career. He is 18-34 this season (.529) and 98-234 (.419) for his career.
• Matta teams are 303-15 during his tenure at Ohio State when the Buckeyes own a lead with 5:00 to play in games. Ohio State also is 286-18 in 304 games in which Ohio State has built a lead of at least 10 points at any point during a game.
• Since Thad Matta took over the Ohio State program the Buckeyes have competed against 121 opponents ranked in the Associated Press Top 25, the third-most games against ranked foes in all of NCAA Division I men’s basketball. The Buckeyes are 54-67 in those games with a winning percentage of .446. That win total ranks No. 10 nationally for victories vs. ranked opponents since 2004-05.
Baseball Buckeyes to be Recognized at FAU Game
Members of the Ohio State baseball team will receive their 2016 Big Ten Tournament Championship Rings Tuesday, Dec. 6, at the Schottenstein Center. The Buckeyes will be recognized at a timeout during the contest between the Buckeyes and Owls. The Buckeyes went 44-20-1 overall, claiming the most wins by a team since 2003. Ohio State captured its ninth Big Ten tournament title in school history and first since 2007. The Buckeyes made their 20th appearance all-time in the NCAA Tournament and first since 2009.
Buckeyes in the Challenge
Ohio State has participated in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge for the last 15 years and has a 6-9 record in the event. The Buckeyes first took part in the event during the 2002-03 season against Duke in Greensboro, N.C., a 91-75 Blue Devils’ victory. Ohio State defeated Virginia Tech in Columbus in 2005-06, 69-59, for its first victory in the event. The 2011 game vs. Duke in Columbus pitted the highest combined ranking of Ohio State (2) and Duke (3) in the Buckeyes’ previous Challenge games. That record was nearly tied in 2012 with the No. 4 Buckeyes traveling to No. 2 Duke. Ohio State was No. 3 and North Carolina came in at No. 7 in the 2006 Challenge. Ohio State has faced a ranked ACC opponent 11 times in the Challenge. The Buckeyes have won five of the last nine Challenge games.
THE BUCKEYES IN BIG TEN/ACC CHALLENGE
12/3/02 vs. No. 4 Duke L 76-91(4)
12/3/03 No. 13 Georgia Tech L 53-73(13)
12/1/04 at Clemson L 73-80
11/28/05 Virginia Tech W 69-59
11/29/06 at No. 7 North Carolina L 89(3)-98(7)
11/29/07 No. 1 North Carolina L 55-66(1)
12/2/08 at No. 21 Miami, Fla. W 73-68(21)
12/2/09 No. 21 Florida State W 77(15)-64(21)
11/30/10 at Florida State W 58(2)-44
11/29/11 No. 3 Duke W 85(2)-63(3)
11/28/12 at No. 2 Duke L 68(4)-73(2)
12/4/13 Maryland W 76(5)-60
12/2/14 at No. 5 Louisville L 55(14)-64(5)
12/1/15 No. 10 Virginia L 58-64(10)
11/30/16 at No. 7 Virginia L 61-63(6)
Scouting the Knights
Fairleigh Dickinson has opened the season with a 2-4 record. The Knights own wins vs. FDU-Florham and Lipscomb. Losses have come to Seton Hall and Fordham on the road and to St. Peter’s on a neutral floor in New York. The Knights fell to Army last Wednesday 97-78 in West Point. Offensively, FDU is led by junior guard Darian Anderson with 19.7 points per game. Sophomore forward Mike Holloway (14.7 ppg.) and junior guard Stephan Jiggetts (11.7 ppg.) also contribute double digits on offense. Holloway also leads the regulars with six rebounds a contest.
Ohio State, Fairleigh Dickinson Series
The game Saturday will be the first in the series between Ohio State and Fairleigh Dickinson. Ohio State is 12-0 against current members of the Northeast Conference. The last time Ohio State faced a member of the Northeast Conference was in the season-opener a last year, a 76-54 win over Mount St. Mary’s in Columbus. Ohio State senior Marc Loving had 15 points and 11 boards and junior Keita Bates-Diop added a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Junior Jae’Sean Tate contributed a game-high 21 points to go with nine rebounds.
Ohio State vs. the Northeast Conference
Central Connecticut……………. 3-0
Mount Saint Mary’s…………….. 2-0
Robert Morris…………………….. 3-0
Sacred Heart……………………… 1-0
St. Francis (N.Y.)
St. Francis (Pa.)…………………… 1-0
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.