No. 6/7 (No. 1 seed) Ohio State vs. (No. 6 seed) Minnesota
March 14, 2010 // Indianapolis, Ind. // Conseco Fieldhouse
Big Ten Tournament Finals
Ohio State, Minnesota Series
Ohio State leads the overall series with Minnesota, 75-55. The Buckeyes are 47-18 in Columbus, while Minnesota leads 37-28 in Minneapolis. The Buckeyes have won eight of the last nine as a ranked team in the series. The teams have never met on a neutral court. Ohio State is 21-3 vs. when ranked in the Minnesota series. Evan Turner averages 17.0 points over six games vs. Minnesota during his career to lead the Buckeyes. William Buford contributes 15 points a game in the series over his four career games vs. the Gophers. Turner also is the leading Ohio State rebounder in the UM series with 6.5 boards a game. Buford led Ohio State this season in the two games vs. Minnesota. He averaged 21.5 points while shooting 55 percent from the field (17-31). Turner averaged 19.0 points and 5.5 rebounds. Turner shot 60 percent from the field (18-30) in the two meetings this year. The Buckeyes fell 73-62 Jan. 9 at Williams Arena and then defeated Minnesota 85-63 Jan. 31 at Value City Arena.
Last Time vs. Minnesota
Jan. 31, 2010, Ohio State 85, Minnesota 63
COLUMBUS – Ohio State honored its 1960 national championship team, then the current Buckeyes showed they could play a little, too. William Buford scored a career-high 26 points and Evan Turner and Jon Diebler each had 19 points to lead the then-20th-ranked Buckeyes past Minnesota 85-63 for their fifth win in six games. The Buckeyes shot 63 percent against Minnesota. Rodney Williams had 13 points, Ralph Sampson III had 11, and Damian Johnson and Blake Hoffarber each had 10 to lead the Golden Gophers. The 1960 national championship squad led by Jerry Lucas and John Havlicek was honored at halftime. That team beat California 75-55 for the school’s only national title in basketball. Against Minnesota, this year’s Buckeyes shot 73 percent from the field in the opening half to build a 49-35 lead and never looked back. With Ohio State ahead 32-24 late in the half, Buford, the freshman of the year in the Big Ten last season, hit a runner in the lane, Lighty hit a spectacular driving layup while falling and Buford added two foul shots to push the lead to 38-24. The Golden Gophers, just 1-5 on the road, never got closer than 12 points again. The Buckeyes led by 28 points in the second half and coasted to the finish. At halftime, members of the 1960 team – which included Hall of Famers Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, Bob Knight and the late coach, Fred Taylor, were honored. Knight spoke of Taylor, crediting him for bringing a disparate group of players together for that one championship season. A banner honoring Taylor was unfurled from the rafters.
Semifinals: Ohio State 88, Illinois 81 2 OT (3/13/10)
- Ohio State is 39-49 all-time in overtime games and 5-10 on a neutral court in overtime contests. Ohio State last played in a double-overtime contest a season ago in the NCAA opening round loss to Siena (74-72).
- Thad Matta is 3-0 in March this season and 28-8 overall in the month of Madness at Ohio State. Matta is 153-53 at Ohio State and in 10 years as a head coach, his record is 255-84.
- Ohio State is now 13-8 all-time in Big Ten Tournament games. The Buckeyes are now 7-2 as a No. 1 seed.
- The Buckeyes have played for the Big Ten Tournament title in four of the last five years, winning in 2007. Thad Matta teams have played for a conference tournament title in seven of his 10 seasons as a head coach.
- Down 50-39 at the 12:54 mark of the second half, Ohio State went on a 20-0 run to take a 59-50 lead.
- With 10 rebounds, Evan Turner passed Frank Howard for 14th on the Ohio State all-time career rebounding list, now with 645.
- Jon Diebler had 14 points to reach 1,000 career points (1,003) at Ohio State he is the 45th player all-time to reach 1,000.
- Illinois leads the overall series with the Buckeyes 99-62. The teams are 1-1 on a neutral court. The Buckeyes won all three meetings in 2010 and have won eight of the last 10 in the series. Ohio State is 19-9 vs. the Illini when ranked nationally in the Associated Press poll. No. 5 Ohio State has won each of the last nine games vs. Illinois when the Buckeyes are ranked.
- Jon Diebler has knocked down 25 of 52 3-point attempts (.488) vs. Illinois all time. In the three games vs. Illinois this season, Diebler led the way with 53 points. He made 17 of 34 (.500) 3-pointers as well.
- Ohio State is 24-0 on the season when leading with 5:00 to play in the second half. The Buckeyes led 59-52 and held on for the double-overtime victory.
- Seniors Danny Peters and Mark Titus are now the winningest class in Ohio State history with 107 career wins. The duo, both walk-ons, passed scholarship players Jamar Butler and Matt Terwilliger, who finished their careers with 105 victories from 2005-08.
- Turner scored 31 points, one off his career high of 32 at Purdue earlier this year. Turner reached 500 for the season (537) over the last two games and has done so twice in career (572 in 2009). There are 26 players to record 40 500+ points in OSU history. His scoring effort vs. the Illini also propelled him into No. 19 all-time (1,422), passing Larry Bolden and his 1,408 points.
- Turner is No. 14 all-time (645) in career rebounds. He needs two steals (153) to pass Troy Taylor for the career No. 5 spot (155).
- Turner recorded his 15th double-double of the season and 26th of his career with 31 points and 10 rebounds vs. the Illini.
- Turner has 70 career games with 10 or more points, 24 games with 20 or more and three games with 30 or more in his career.
- With four made 3-point field goals, Diebler became the all-time record holder at Ohio State for made 3s. He has 243, passing Jamar Butler (242). He also passed his own personal-best season total (96 in 2009) with his effort vs. the Illini. He has 99 this season and will become just the second Buckeye (Butler-103 in 2008) with 100 or more made 3s in a season with one more this season.
- Diebler has (1,003) career points and is the 45th player in school history to reach 1,000.
- Diebler grabbed five rebounds to reach 300 for career.
• Buford scored 22 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to give him his fourth career double-double, all this season.
• Madsen played a career high 32 minutes in the win vs. the Illini.