Ohio State played well at the Kepler Intercollegiate last weekend and are looking to roll that into the Big Ten Championship this weekend at the Baltimore Country Club.
BUCKEYES AT THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP
– This is the 98th playing of the Big Ten Championship
– Ohio State has captured 23 team titles at the Big Ten Championship since 1920, the most of any conference school. Illinois ranks second with 15 team trophies.
– The last time Ohio State won the team title was in 2004.
– Individually, 18 players have claimed medalist honors at the event. The last of which was Kevin Hall in 2004.
– Last year, behind a runner-up finish from Will Grimmer, the Buckeyes took third place which was its best finish since winning the tournament in 2004
NOTING THE BUCKEYES
– The Buckeyes had a good weekend finishing fourth at the Robert Kepler Intercollegiate and may just be playing some of the best golf at the right time.
– Jeg Coughlin III and Will Grimmer each tied for 11th at the Kepler. Coughlin III posted a final round 69 en route to his third top-20 finish
– Will Voetsch led the Buckeyes at the rain-shortened Boilermaker Invitational the previous weekend as he tied for 20th at 2-over par. He posted a second round 2-under 70 in brutal conditions on Saturday afternoon.
– Daniel Wetterich leads the team with a 71.88 scoring average and five top-20 finishes. Wetterich was named the Big Ten Player of the Week last fall after his career-best performance at the Bearcat Invitational.
– Coughlin III has played solid golf this spring as he has averaged just over 73 strokes per round in five events in 2018
– Caden Orewiler notched the best finish of his career with a T3 in the individual event at the Puerto Rico Classic
– The Buckeyes went 3-1 at the Big Ten Match Play Championship in February. OSU defeated Michigan and Maryland on day one before falling to Iowa in a fog-shortened nine-hole match on Saturday morning. The Buckeyes closed the event with a 6-0 sweep of Minnesota on Saturday afternoon.
– Ohio State notched a pair of sixth place finishes early in the fall and then capped the fall with a runner-up finish at the Dayton Intercollegiate
HOSTING A REGIONAL
– The Scarlet Course will play host to one of six NCAA Regionals next month. Ohio State will host the event on May 14-16 at the OSU Golf Course. The Buckeyes will also host a regional in May of 2022.
– To volunteer for the regional as a walking scorer, scoreboard operator or in another capacity, click the link below.
– VOLUNTEER: https://ohiostate.volunteermatch.org/results/opp_detail.jsp?oppid=2918936