COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 43 Ohio State women’s tennis team (6-4, 1-0 Big Ten) fell to No. 22 Oklahoma (7-2), 4-0, Sunday afternoon in the squad’s final match at the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic in Montgomery, Ala.
The Sooners earned the early advantage after taking the doubles point with wins on courts one and two. The Oklahoma duo of Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Alice Radu, ranked 56th nationally, downed Ohio State’s Paloma Escobedo and Cami Hubbs, 8-3, on court one.
At the second spot, Oklahoma’s Whitney Ritchie and Maria Kalashnikova took their match against Kelsey Haviland and Gabby Steele, 8-0.
Oklahoma wasted no time in singles, winning three matches in straight sets to clinch the team victory. With Escobedo out of the singles lineup because of injury, the Buckeyes were forced to move everyone in their lineup one spot higher.
Ohio State’s Kara Cecil dropped her match on court two, 6-2, 6-1, to Radu, while classmate Fidan Manashirova’s 14-match win streak was ended on court four to Marie-Pier Huet, 6-0, 6-1.
Constantinescu clinched the victory for the Sooners with a 6-1, 6-2 victory on court one against Haviland.
Because of time restraints, the remaining three singles matches were suspended. Steele had taken the first set of her match against Ritchie on court three, 6-4, while Hubbs was a single game from taking her match against Kalashnikova with the score at 6-3, 5-3.
Freshman Noelle Malley was battling in the second set against Oklahoma’s Mia Lancaster after dropping the first set, 6-3.
The Buckeyes return to Columbus this week to face Louisville at home in the OSU Varsity Tennis Center Friday at 6 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Oklahoma vs Ohio State
Feb 27, 2011 at Montgomery, Ala.
(O’Connor Tennis Center)
#22 Oklahoma 4, #43 Ohio State 0
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Kelsey Haviland (OSU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Alice Radu (OU) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) – 6-2, 6-1
3. Gabby Steele (OSU) vs. Whitney Ritchie (OU)- 6-4, 1-2 unf.
4. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Fidan Manashirova (OSU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Cami Hubbs (OSU) vs. Maria Kalashnikova (OU), 6-3, 5-3 unf.
6. Noelle Malley (OSU) vs. Mia Lancaster (OU), 3-6, 2-1 unf.
1. No. 56 Constantinescu/Radu (OU) def. Escobedo/Hubbs (OSU), 8-3
2. Ritchie/Kalashnikova (OU) def. Haviland/Steele (OSU), 8-0
3. Cecil/Malley (OSU) vs. Eckel/Huet (OU), 6-6 unf.