COLUMBUS, Ohio – Competing for a spot in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship, the No. 38 Ohio State women’s tennis team fell to No. 25 Florida State, 6-1, in the final match at the qualifier event in Fresno, Calif. The Buckeyes, now 5-1 on the year, were looking for their second upset of the weekend after knocking off host school No. 15 Fresno State, 6-1, Saturday.
The Seminoles’ duo of Lauren McCreless and Francesca Segareli defeated the Buckeye tandem of Cami Hubbs and Kelsey Haviland, 8-2, at No. 1 to start the day. The Scarlet and Gray doubles team of Christina Keesey and Paloma Escobedo kept things close, but fell 8-6 to Katie Rybakova and Federica Suess to give Florida State the doubles point. The third doubles match between Ohio State’s Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele and Florida State’s Amy Sargeant and Jessica Sucupira was suspended after the No. 2 doubles match finished.
The Seminoles won five of six singles matches for the team victory. Haviland provided the Buckeyes with their only point of the day, knocking off No. 115 Sargeant 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 4 position. Haviland is a perfect 6-0 in dual matches to lead the Buckeyes this spring.
Florida State started the singles matches with No. 62 Segareli’s 6-0, 6-0 win over Keesey at No. 3. Escobedo was downed at the No. 2 position by Rybakova 6-2, 6-0. Florida State earned the winning point in the No. 6 match between Manashirova and Sucupira, with the Seminole winning 6-3, 6-1. At the No. 5 spot, Florida State’s Suess downed Steele 6-2, 6-4. No. 53-ranked Kirsten Flower fell to No. 23 McCreless in a super tiebreaker (7-5, 0-6, 10-6) at the top of the lineup to finish the match.
The Buckeyes return to action at 1 p.m. Wednesday when they host No. 34 Kentucky at the Varsity Tennis Center in Columbus (880 West Henderson Road). Admission is free to all Ohio State home matches.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Florida State
Jan 31, 2010 at Fresno, Calif.
#25 Florida State 6, #38 Ohio State 1
1. #23 Lauren McCreless (FSU) def. #53 Kirsten Flower (OSU) 7-5, 0-6, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Katie Rybakova (FSU) def. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. #62 Francesca Segareli (FSU) def. Christina Keesey (OSU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) def. #115 Amy Sargeant (FSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Federica Suess (FSU) def. Gabby Steele (OSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Jessica Sucupira (FSU) def. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Lauren McCreless/Francesca Segareli (FSU) def. Kelsey Haviland/Cami Hubbs (OSU) 8-2
2. Federica Suess/Katie Rybakova (FSU) def. Paloma Escobedo/Christina Keesey (OSU) 8-6
3. Jessica Sucupira/Amy Sargeant (FSU) vs. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) unfinished
Ohio State 5-1; National ranking #38
Florida State 2-1; National ranking #25
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,2,6,4,5,1)