COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 33 Ohio State women’s tennis team wrapped up its road trip weekend with a 5-2 win over No. 23 Virginia (3-2) in Charlottesville, Va., Sunday, improving to 8-1 this season. The Buckeyes have won three matches in a row, including a 5-2 win over No. 50 William & Mary Friday.
The Buckeyes took the doubles point after winning two of the three doubles matches. The freshman duo of Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele downed Maria Fuccillo and Neela Vaez 8-3 on court three to start the event. At the top spot, Kelsey Haviland and Cami Hubbs had their hands full, falling in a close 8-6 decision to Lindsey Hardenbergh and Erin Vierra. Paloma Escobedo and Christina Keesey clinched the point with an 8-1 win over Emily Fraser and Hana Tomljanovic.
The Buckeyes won four singles matches for the team victory, with three straight-set victories. Steele downed Vaez at No. 5 in straight sets 6-3, 6-2 to take the second team point of the match for the Buckeyes. At No. 6 Manashirova also finished in straight sets, defeating Fuccillo 6-3, 7-6. No. 53 ranked Kirsten Flower clinched the victory for the Scarlet and Gray with a 7-6, 6-4 win over No. 72 Hardenbergh.
At the No. 2 spot Escobedo fell to Fraser in a super tiebreaker (4-6, 7-6, 10-7) to put the Cavaliers on the board. Keesey dropped two straight sets after winning the first against Vierra, losing 4-6, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 3. Haviland was the last off the courts, besting Tomljanovic in a super tiebreaker and winning 7-5, 6-7, 10-8.
Manashirova and Steele improved their team-best win totals to 14 each, while Haviland and Steele are first on the squad with an 8-1 record this spring.
The Buckeyes return to action against LSU Feb. 17 at the Ohio State University Varsity Tennis Center in Columbus.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Virginia
Feb 07, 2010 at Charlottesville, Va.
(Boar’s Head Sports Club)
#33 Ohio State 5, #23 Virginia 2
1. #53 Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. #72 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVA) 7-6, 6-4
2. Emily Fraser (UVA) def. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 4-6, 7-6, 10-7
3. Erin Vierra (UVA) def. Christina Keesey (OSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) def. Hana Tomljanovic (UVA) 7-5, 6-7, 10-8
5. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Neela Vaez (UVA) 6-3, 6-2
6. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Maria Fuccillo (UVA) 6-3, 7-6
1. Lindsey Hardenbergh/Erin Vierra (UVA) def. Kelsey Haviland/Cami Hubbs (OSU) 8-6
2. Paloma Escobedo/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Hana Tomljanovic/Emily Fraser (UVA) 8-1
3. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Maria Fuccillo/Neela Vaez (UVA) 8-3
Ohio State 8-1; National ranking #33
Virginia 3-2; National ranking #23
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,1,2,3,4)